My eyes hurt

payasam

I'm posting this here because I couldn't find a sub-forum on ophthalmology.

When I shut down Mandrake 10.0 a screen comes up with vertical green lines. Not only are they obscene, they induce vertigo and nausea. Is there any way I can get something pleasant instead, maybe a picture of a hungry hyaena or a Tasmanian Devil?

Will no one help me, please? I think the chap dressed in green is handsome and elegant, but it's that background which is terrible. In Windows I could at least make my own shut-down screens, rude remarks and all.

You are capable of making your own,

mandrake uses bootsplash for it's themes. www.bootsplash.org www.bootsplash.de

however your problem seems to be something much much lower than the theme. Probably down to the kernel level.

How about in the meantime, don't look at your screen when you shutdown.

I guess we need to figure out what sort of video chip your running on.

You told me:

Card is whatever ordinary thing came with with the Intel chip-set.

Which is not helping any. Maybe tell us the brand and model number of your computer and someone would be able to look up which video chip it is running on. Then someone here may be able to find a cure for the green man.

The machine has no brand name, Scoopy, having been assembled by my hardware chap. The component in question is an Intel 82810E graphics controller. My problem is not the green fellow, whom I rather like. It's the background with the vertical green lines. But I guess I'm just being a fussy old coot.

Had the same thing happen to a computer I set up to use as a sound station for my church's sound room (and payasam is right, It is nauseating, and possibly seizure inducing :D ). I had minimal memory in that computer. When I added mem, problem stopped. Not sure if memory was the problem, but whatever needed it might have been.

What are the computer specs?