some general hardware related questions

teh_sAbEr

i was just wondering, why isn't it a good idea to put a hard drive on the same IDE cable/channel as a CD-ROM drive? or how about using the first PCI slot after the AGP? ive heard that it's a general rule not to use the first PCI slot after the AGP. and, on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being best) how good do you think MDK Linux's compatibility with other hardware is? Like the modern mobo's(anyone try PCI Express cards on Linux yet?) and what not?

The reason it is not a good idea to put an HD and CDROM on the same channel is that the speed of the interface of the entire channel could easily be reduced to the speed of the slowest device and harming performance.

As for not using the first PCI slot after the AGP, AGP video cards typically use IRQ 11 and so does PCI slot 1, which is usually the one closest to the AGP slot ang devices there are known for conflicting with the IRQ and causing a freeze on bootup, but if you turn off plug and play in the BIOS, I don't think that is a problem in Linux.

As for hardware compatibility, you'll pretty much have to search the web. Linux, in general tends to work with older hardware better than newer, but that is changing as vendors start to recognize the growing popularity of Linux.

It's better that way, I guess, but there can be a benefit to having a hardrive on the same channel as a cdrom. For example, you rip alot of music to your hd or you burn ISOs or whatever. If the hd being used is on the same channel, it lowers the overhead of the data transfer.