Mandrake Club

fangbite

I've been condering joining Mandrake Club but there is one thing from keeping me from doing it. I've heard that there are alot of commercial programs which you can download if you are a club member. I'm interested in joining only if these commercial programs will be useful to me, but I can't find anyplace inwhich I can see what programs there are, what they do, etc. If someone could provide me a link to where I can look at (not download) the programs I would be most appreciative.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So these are all those downloads I supposedly get if I become a club member? Doesn't seem like much and from what I can see, doesn't look like I would get them without paying more (the club member discount on buying them). This isn't what I was expecting for the supposedly comerical software you get for being a club member.

I've been condering joining Mandrake Club but there is one thing from keeping me from doing it. I've heard that there are alot of commercial programs which you can download if you are a club member. I'm interested in joining only if these commercial programs will be useful to me, but I can't find anyplace inwhich I can see what programs there are, what they do, etc. If someone could provide me a link to where I can look at (not download) the programs I would be most appreciative.

That sounds a bit selfish to me. When you join Mandrakeclub you are contributing to the open source software development, helping Mandrakesoft to survive and continue with Mandrakelinux development and so on.

How was it? : Dont ask what the open source software can do for you, but what can you do for it.

You can join the club for 60 euros/dollars a year, that is 5 $/€ a month !!! Is it really that much ??... Or you can pay 120 $/€ and be able to download all de Powerpacks Mandrake releases within that year, 10€/$ a month doesnt seem that expensive to me...

Im not saying that you should join, but i just dont like the way you put it, i dont think its fear, where is the sense of community if you are only looking for your own personal benefit (ie.: I'm interested in joining only if these commercial programs will be useful to me)?

To be honest i don't really agree with what mandrakesoft is doing, i really think it should be free yes as in free of charge, there stupid club is kind of pointless, having to pay for something just to get the latest updates, i think mandrakesoft are beng selfish. Think about it, yes we have the new let's say gnome rpm's available for you to install. BUT ONLY IF YOUR A CLUB MEMBER, makes me really angry when i see this sort of thing but ack oh well.

Yes i agree with you Lowe.

Contributing to an opensource software development is a will and not an option. I know Mandrakelinux need some financial support to survive but for me, its up to the Mandrake users.

Like the CD-4 of MDK is only for the MandrakeClub Members to download.

really, the only apps there that you can't get on your own for free, are ones that either rarely work or it's easier just to run windows instead of some worthless crashing emulator. You can cry "windows crashes" but these emulators are tedious to setup at best, rarely work with what you want it to, and are flat out a waste of time. Use windows :P As for the other stuff....what other stuff? :screwy:

Edited by bvc

Thats untrue Lowe..

You can still get Mandrake for free, and you can get almost every app for free, besides that if you go to the MDK Cooker you can acquire almost all of the apps you have to pay for..

I became a club member to support Mandrake because I feel they are doing a damn good job, and if anyone hasnt noticed their financial status is pretty poor, improving, but still poor...

I'm glad I became a club member, even though I havnt really gotten anything out of it except access to the ISO's a few weeks earlier (though you can still get it all off the cooker and other sources like I said)

Its not about the money, its about the community. I've been using linux and using the software without being able to contribute anything back because I am a crappy software developer, so I saw being a club member as a way of at least showing my support for them..

Now this isnt to say I don't have my problems with the club, there are many problems.. such as I feel that you are entitled to at least a few tokens of tech support after spending 120 bucks for a quite minimum membership... My other issues with it include the fact that it says "10 bucks a month" when it in fact charges you 120 bucks in one chunk instead of monthy billing, which I honestly would have preferred due to my financial status not always being at its top and dropping 120 dollars on something isn't something I like to do.. but regardless, I did it, and I'll probably do it again when my membership expires..

But thats just my opinion, do what you do using your own judgement :)

To be honest i don't really agree with what mandrakesoft is doing, i really think it should be free yes as in free of charge, there stupid club is kind of pointless, having to pay for something just to get the latest updates, i think mandrakesoft are beng selfish. Think about it, yes we have the new let's say gnome rpm's available for you to install. BUT ONLY IF YOUR A CLUB MEMBER, makes me really angry when i see this sort of thing but ack oh well.

Free in charge is not what open source is about. It's about free as in Free Speech. Mandrake Club is really about supporting the distro. After all, you can get a lot of the same apps from your ftp sources for free. Mandrake for a while was in bankruptcy, thanks to the Mandrake Club scheme and the genorosity of users, it is no longer in bankruptcy. IMHO, every user, if the appreciate their efforts, should contribute in some way.

Edited by spiedra

So basically there is no place I can go to see exactly what I get with spending my money.

I'm not against donating to good and worthy causes. Problem is that my wallet isn't as generous as I am. I have donated to many freeware/open software like mozilla and spybot, but the fact is if I'm to spend $60 or $120 in one large chunk, I want to see what I get out of it. This is especially in light of the fact that Mandrake promises something but is very vague about what it is. I want to know whats on this 4th cd that I get to download if I join. Yah maybe it is selfish of me, but If i'm spending my money on something I want to know what I am getting before I get it.

fangbite,

there are no commercial or special software on CD 4. Everything on CD 4 is free available on the official mdk ftp mirrors. Set up your urpmi source and add 'main', then all applications and libraries are there. And if you add 'contrib' and 'PLF' you'll get some thousands more ;-)

There are many ways to contribute and give back, money is only one way.

Free in charge is not what open source is about. It's about free as in Free Speech. Mandrake Club is really about supporting the distro. After all, you can get a lot of the same apps from your ftp sources for free. Mandrake for a while was in bankruptcy, thanks to the Mandrake Club scheme and the genorosity of users, it is no longer in bankruptcy. IMHO, every user, if the appreciate their efforts, should contribute in some way.

Yeah, that may be right. But distro's like Ubuntu think all software should be free, As do i.That's probally why i won't go back to mandrake, you may think im just some cheap skate, heck maybe your right. But i really think all open source software should be free. And having a club only thing is kind of silly, if there gonna make money, they should just offer tshirts etc for sale, not some club where only members can get the latest downloads. That is very selfish. So much for share the software more like.

"Your not getting the software!"

"Unless you pay some cash"

"And after one year you will have to pay again"

"so let's stop users from getting the latest software"

"Just to make our pockets bigger"

Take it how you want, if this offends you, it was not intended to.

Edited by Lowe