Upgrade to Gnome 2.6 problems

Guest HLN

Hi all!

I use Mandake 10 and upgraded to Gnome 2.6 from Cooker a couple of days ago (when Gnome 2.8 was announced ;-) ).

I used Mandrakelinux Control Center to Install new programs.

I selected the Gnome2* 2.6 packages, gnome-panel, gnome-desktop, gnome-applets, and propably a couple of others that I don't remember.

I can log in and the 2.6 splash screen is shown and all, but then the problems start. Most applets won't start, like window-list, clock, and so on.

Here's what the output is:

The panel encountered a problem while loading

"OAFIID:GNOME_WindowListApplet". Details: Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'

The icons on the desktop are there when I'm logged in, but as soon as I double cklick on "Home folder" or "Computer" or try to launch nautilus in a terminal, it crashes, and the icons dissapear.

This is what I get when I try to run nautilus:

[henrik@kib0012 henrik]$ nautilus

nautilus: symbol lookup error: nautilus: undefined symbol: eel_preferences_add_auto_string_glist

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

I've searched mailinglists, this forum, and the net but without any results so far...

Thanks!

/Henrik L-N

welcome to the board!

Sometimes this would happen when updating gnome from within gnome, but I don't think that really happens anymore. If that's why, the fix is to remove all your gnome preferences by removing all the .gnome and gnome2 folders in your home dir and .metacity and .nautilus dirs as well. There were big changes from 2.4 to 2.6 so it's best to start clean anyway.

Could also be that some pkgs weren't upgraded as they should have been. Upgrade anything that is gnome related that is available for upgrading.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest strangely brown

Hi there,

I know it's probably a bit late now, however I came across the exact same problems over the past couple of days. I think I've now got it all sorted. For the record, I'm running 10.0, however have upgraded the kernel to the 2.6.8.1-10mdk one.

The main things you need to make the problem go away are the RPMs to do with applets - If you do a:-

rpm -qa | grep -i 'applet'

This should list all the RPMs you have installed with "applet" in the title. Here's what I have with Gnome 2.6 now working:-

gnome-applets-2.6.2.1-3mdk

libcapplet1-1.5.11-6mdk

python-gnome-capplet-1.4.4-6mdk

gnome-python-applet-2.0.3-1mdk

libpanel-applet-2_0-2.6.2-5mdk

I'll bet that both your libcapplet1 and libpanel-applet packages will be a lesser version...

Next, if you urpmi applet, you will get a list of available packages - Basically grab the ones you're behind on.

Hopefully, this will sort out your applets not loading up correctly.

The Nautilus problem took me a while to get around. First of all, looking through these forums, someone (sorry - I can't seem to find the post now) suggested doing this:-

gconftool-2 --type boolean --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser true

However this didn't completely solve my problem. In the end, it was a missing libeel2_2 package which I installed that completely fixed my issues. After 2 days of hell!!!

:wall:

Regards,

SB.

best way to do it is to completely uninstall ALL gnome and related pkgs, and either install the new version from init 3 or another de/wm. It's also a good idea to delete ALL gnome related folders in the home dir. One hour of redoing personal preferences is far better than days of agony and time fixing the unnecessarily broken. Live and learn, eh?

NOTE: Watch the deps! If you are not careful you'll uninstall all the draktools etc that use gtk...and be stuck at the cli.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the answers! :)

I solved it by uninstalling all gnome-packages and packages dependant on them. Then I used urpmi to install everything back again (in console mode) and it works fine...

:-)

Now I've upgraded to gnome 2.8-packages and have hit a new problem, but that I'll take in a new thread... ;)

Thanks again!