Hi 2 all

twilight

I am a new user here and i would like to say a "hello" to all mandrake and Linux users.

I am making my early steps now for about 4 months. I have tried SuSE 9.1 Pro evaluation version (the one that Novell sends you gor free), Mandrake 10 official, knoppix 3.4, knoppel 0.4, PCLinuxOS (best for me Live-cd, looks like very much with Mandrake it is based on it).

Mandrake 10 (i have 4 cds) works the best for me. I havent figured out how to make my modem (Intel 537), tweak the touchpad (change the buttons controls), Irda not working, bluetooth not working, wireless card not working (PCMCIA), acpi not working correctly.

Although the above problems I like the way Linux works. I do not like programs are installed. C:\Program Files for Windows and /usr/bin/ all there full of binaries for Linux

Anyway greetings from Greece.

Good to know you. I too have look at most of thoses linux OS's and have selected Mandrake 10 official, I ended up getting external modems to avoid the issues I had with the winmodems. I even converted an old 56K macmodem to use as a windows/Linux modem. I am still having issues with wine not running correctly. I am not sure which version works with Mandrake 10 official which I have installed.

Jntod1 San Diego, Ca.

I'm also new to Linux. I'm using MDK 10, but also tried installing BSD just for kicks, but couldn't. Even though I dual boot to XP (for games, what else?), I try to use it as least as possible. And I didn't pay for it anyways. :D

I used MDK 8 and 9 in the past, but just for about a month or so each. Ditched them because they couldn't detect my scanner, printer, webcam, etc.

So, what made me decide to jump ship and embrace Linux permanently?

I remember the days when one could live with your house's front door open, and not fear a stranger; when you could leave you car's windows down and not fear someone stealing your walkman. I miss peace of mind at home.

And I want the same peace of mind when using my computer.

I'll get broadband next week, saw it coming for weeks, and decided I wanted the same peace of mind we had a few years back: No fear of viruses, spyware, or strangers sticking their heads inside my computer.

I want stability, and if there is to be any instalibilty, I want it only because I screw up when installing/tweaking something.

I wish I knew programming. I'd be helping a distro or open source development. :wall:

In essense, welcome. And hi to all.

Edited by GregHolg

I wish I knew programming. I'd be helping a distro or open source development.

then start learning programming. all the necessary tools are available for free either on your cds or on the web. ;)

and... welcome aboard, all of you :)

• 10 months later...

tsk tsk what can i say...

I am long time away and what i see:

Ubuntu is 1st at distrowatch (I do not know why, can someone explain to me?)

SuSE has reached 9.3 Pro version

Mandrake has become Mandriva (I do not like this name)

Service Pack 2 for XP

And so on...

Anyway i am glad to be back.

Ubuntu is 1st at distrowatch (I do not know why, can someone explain to me?)

because it's the "new hotness". that is, it's a relatively new distro and so everyone flocks to it because they want to be cool too. same thing happened when gentoo came out. it'll calm down.

Mandrake has become Mandriva (I do not like this name)

meh, not many people do but...who cares, eh? ;)

yupp, ubuntu became en vogue and lots simply joined the bandwaggon. but that doesn't mean that it is superior to any other distro. it is "different" but not better than mandriva or fedora or gentoo or <enter distro of your choice> imho.

one of the main reasons for ubuntus popularity is that it comes with only one cd, gives you only one app per task and uses debian packages (lots of people prefer apt-get over urpmi, emerge, yum, yast or other packet managers). the other reason is that it is based on debian and many linux users dream of having debian running but they were scared by the installation process and configuration. but with ubuntu, everything seemed so easy. the easiest way to the debian world. thus many people said: wow: debian for a noob! i need it!

the third factor is that it is gnome-oriented. many gnome-freaks went after that "gnome-only" distro.

i agree with tyme: the hype will stop soon. maybe end of this year.

oops... i am an ubuntu user, too. :D shame on me.

btw twilight, where can I find a larger version of your avatar, I love it!

i found the original avatar from www.linux.gr or www.hellug.gr I do not remember to tell the truth.

Take a look also here to find also other pictures with tux.

I was referring to the original logo you had when you joined :cheesy:

As for Ubuntu - it rocks and will not stop being popular. I don't use it myself but I hold it in high reagrd - to a degree that I see it as the messiah of mass-desktop linux usage.

But that's just me :P