can't get lm_sensors to "Stick" - SOLVED

papaschtroumpf

This is in follow up to this thread: http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=17185

I finally figured out a sensor module that will work for my motherboard and give me my temperatues, but I can't seem to make it it "stick" accross reboots.

If I do (as root) sensors-detect, followed by a manually:

modprobe i2c-viapro

modprobe i2c-isa

modprobe w83781d

sensors -s

sensors

I can see the proper temperature

after a reboot, it if I type "sensors" I get the following message:

Can't access procfs/sysfs file

Unable to find i2c bus information;

For 2.6 kernels, make sure you have mounted sysfs and done

'modprobe i2c_sensor'!

For older kernels, make sure you have done 'modprobe i2c-proc'!

if I type "modprobe i2c_sensor" followed by all the modprobes shown above, I again get the proper temperature, so it means that I need to do modprobe i2c_sensors at startup.

So I looked at /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors and the first useful line of the script is:

[ -e /proc/sys/dev/sensors ] || /sbin/modprobe i2c-proc &>/dev/null

this looks to me that it's a kernel 2.4 line and that for 2.6 I need to replace it with

[ -e /proc/sys/dev/sensors ] || /sbin/modprobe i2c_sensor &>/dev/null

The next line in the script is:

[ -e /proc/sys/dev/sensors ] || exit 0

and I checked manually after doing "modprobe i2c_sensor" and there is no /proc/sys/dev/sensors directory. Is this normal? do 2.6 kernels work differently? even the directory isn't there I can still get temperature readins when I modprobe modules manually.

Should I simply comment outthis line from the script? Am I going off totally on the wormg track?

Thanks

That's weird: I made the change above and manually commented out the check for /proc/sys/dev/sensors in my /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors file, so now if I run it manually:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors start it works just fine

but it doesn't get executed automatically at reboot. Do I need to do something to cause /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors to be executed at boot? I though the kernel automagically cycled through all the scripts in that directory, but obviously I'm missing something.

EDIT:

OK, after doing a little bit of research about the startup process in Mandrake, I thought I needed to go to /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/ and add:

ln -s ../init.d/lm_sensors S99lm_sensors

which if I'm not mistaken will cause the /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors script with a start argument at the end of the initialization of run level 3, but it doesn't seem to be working?

EDIT AGAIN: I removed the link above since it didn't seem to be working, then went to /etc/rc.d/init.d and typed "chkconfig --add lm_sensors". which added symlinks similar to what I tried to do manually above, execpt that it seems to work properly at boot?!?!?!?!

I guess this problem is solved but still not sure why creating the link in rc3.d menaully didn;t work.

Edited by papaschtroumpf

yes I understant that part, and I didn't modify /etc/rc.local.

Ijust missed the part that you don't have to go through runlevel3 on your way to runlevel5, so when I manually added the S90lm_sensors to rc.3 it wasn't getting executed.

I'll checkout your page anyway, I might learn something :P

EDIT: hey I had seen your site before, never realized it was yours. The answer to my particular problem wasn't in there, but cool site anyway.

Edited by papaschtroumpf