Gnome Only distro based on Debian

bvc

no, no, no

the prob is for people like me....1 ps/2 mouse (in my case a usb mouse with a ps/2 convert/adapter) or 1 usb mouse. It sets up 2 entries for the same mouse, which causes 2 clicks for every 1 click. Weird, eh? Didn't know x would do such a thing :lol:

love the sig!

/everyone!.. hipno, hipno...."come to ubuntu".....hipno, hipno :lol2:

Edited by bvc

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really liking it, except the fonts :angry: ....my favorite font lucida grande looks like crap!...but it always has in deb. I d/k what rh, and mdk do that makes so many fonts look good that look bad in other distros. Never looked into it. This was installed over my lfs. I never had time for it or messed with it anyway and was always in mandrake. This minimal stuff is kinda refreshing. Guess I'll have to stop skinning pixmap, and no, I'm not learning engine theming.

ubuntu3

Edited by bvc

hmm... has anyone of you problems with mounting other hd's? my ubuntu always says that every partition that i am trying to mount (reiserfs and vfat) is not supported by the kernel... strange... :unsure:

warning: this will keep it from ever chking the filesys but you could try and change in fstab for example

/dev/hdb7       /               ext3    defaults        0       1

to

/dev/hdb7       /               ext3    defaults        0       0

no, I didn't have that prob. It just wanted to fix my win partition everyboot.

Edited by bvc

Still no major problems here with Ubuntu. But it does not feel as snappy, as responsive, as smooth as Mandrake. Maybe because I am not used to Gnome.

Wanted to find out what's this all about when people telling, kde is eating so much ressources, gnome does not. So I booted three OS, Mandrake 10.0 with the default KDE 3.2.1, SLAX LiveCD (!) with KDE 3.3.0 and Ubuntu with Gnome 2.8. I only opened a terminal and ran 'free'.

Here are the results:

MDK 10.0, kde 3.2.1, konsole - nothing else running:

[chris@localhost chris]$ free

total         used         free     shared    buffers    cached

Mem:    256088    120276    135812       0      5960       68152

-/+ buffers/cache:   46164     209924   <------

Swap:    2208892   0    2208892

SLAX 1.4.1, running as LiveCD, kde 3.3.0, konsole - nothing else running:

root@slax:~# free

total          used         free     shared    buffers     cached

Mem:    255620     251668     3952          0      33020      158128

-/+ buffers/cache:   60520      195100   <------

Swap:     2208892   5252       2203640

ubuntu, gnome 2.8.0, gnome-console - nothing else running:

chris@ubuntu ~ $ free

total          used         free     shared    buffers     cached

Mem:     256944    161344     95600        0       8164       73200

-/+ buffers/cache:   79980      176964   <------

Swap:     2208892        0        2208892

Any explanations? Comments?

Don't comment the big swap, lol, that's because /me building LiveCD's :lol:

Edited by anna

yeah, I have a coment...

....no one listens to me :lol:

I said back when gnome2.4 came out that this was no longer true and that gnome eats as much or more resources than kde. People either don't read or comprehend. Even now people suggest gnome forthose that complain about kde's resource usage :wall:

BUT, something isn't right there. Sure nothing else was running? That's a much bigger diff than I've ever seen.

no, no, no

the prob is for people like me....1 ps/2 mouse (in my case a usb mouse with a ps/2 convert/adapter) or 1 usb mouse. It sets up 2 entries for the same mouse, which causes 2 clicks for every 1 click. Weird, eh? Didn't know x would do such a thing :lol:

love the sig!

/everyone!.. hipno, hipno...."come to ubuntu".....hipno, hipno :lol2:

:thanks:

:lol2:

anna,

As far as the memory it could simply be a diff in the kernel. 2.6 kernel does allocate memory better so while it can show that more memory is being taken up, it is swapping it out better. SLAX uses a 2.4 kernel. Mdk uses a heavily patched 2.6 kernel, so this really could be a diff in kernels. I'm not suggesting that Gnome isn't as big or maybe bigger HOG than KDE, but it could be simply the kernel.

Just my $.02

Say it with me now, ubuntu ubuntu ubuntu

:jester:

Heck, here is mine

$ free -m
            total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1011       1000         11          0         36        762
-/+ buffers/cache:        201        809
Swap:         3984          0       3984
justin@morpheus ~/Games/ArmyOps $ free
            total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1035680    1024280      11400          0      37420     780484
-/+ buffers/cache:     206376     829304
Swap:      4080416        208    4080208

A term and firefox open, thats it. The question you have to ask your self, what is more responsive, mdk or ubuntu, slax doesn't really count since it is running from cd.

Edited by cybrjackle

i don't have any speed probs. its damn fast here.

buah... all is running well.... except two things now...

1. still unable to mount partitions from vfat or reiserfs type even after editing fstab. still reporting kernel-inability to mount the partitions. :angry: still working on it, before reporting it as a bug.

2. the gtk-engines do not work the way they should (although all are installed), leaving many themes without sliders or buttons. seems to be some grave bug. it is already reported.

but apart from that... i do love ubuntu. :)

Still no major problems here with Ubuntu. But it does not feel as snappy, as responsive, as smooth as Mandrake. Maybe because I am not used to Gnome.

What the hell are you talking about, Ubuntu is like 10x faster than mandrake. In my opinion mandrake is the one that's slow. I have only tryed 3 distro's Mandrake, SuSE and Ubuntu and Ubuntu pwns them all.

i don't have any speed probs. its damn fast here.

buah... all is running well.... except two things now...

1. still unable to mount partitions from vfat or reiserfs type even after editing fstab. still reporting kernel-inability to mount the partitions.  :angry:  still working on it, before reporting it as a bug.

2. the gtk-engines do not work the way they should (although all are installed), leaving many themes without sliders or buttons. seems to be some grave bug. it is already reported.

but apart from that... i do love ubuntu. :)

have you tried as root? I know the first user...bla bla bla....but try as root, or create another user. Next step would either be to wait for an update, get newer/older engines from another repos, or get the latest and compile them. Engines are very easy to compile.

Even w/ fc3-test2 released and d/l not sure I want to put it on a box and get in the way of my ubuntu :)

no NO! don't do that! :deal: /ubuntu, ubuntu, ubuntu!

What the hell are you talking about, Ubuntu is like 10x faster than mandrake. In my opinion mandrake is the one that's slow. I have only tryed 3 distro's Mandrake, SuSE and Ubuntu and Ubuntu pwns them all.

It happens. Ask cybr. A distro that's fast on one machine may be a dog on another. That's why no one can say any distro is the fastest. It depends on too many variables.

ubuntu