Gnome Only distro based on Debian

bvc

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man i have to say this is honestly the fastest distro i have tried, it just zooms a long :P . Everything seems great the main problem seems to be with licensing though, like you have to install mplayer the hard way :angry: And uhm what's with that root crap, normal user as powerful as root. :huh:

yeah...sudo this :furious3:

:lol2:

I don't know how, what or why, but mine is fixed. Figured if I tinkered long enough something would kick something and it would work. Now it does. ROOT is back baby!!! :thumbs:

but I'm bvc in this screenie ;)

ubuntu

Lowe: yes, deb can be quite snappy :thumbs: ...doesn't run 20 services at boot.

Edited by bvc

Other than that, deb is deb, and gnome is gnome.....OH! xfree86? What's a matter with these people? I know the next release will have xorg but.....whatever.

take a look at their wiki-pages. they are discussing the problem that they want to give the end-user the most important stuff on a single cd. the rest (kde, flux,...) can be downloaded anyway. ;)

Everything seems great the main problem seems to be with licensing though, like you have to install mplayer the hard way  And uhm what's with that root crap, normal user as powerful as root.

here again: some stuff was not included due to "available space" reasons (although there are only around 500 mb used on the cd. :screwy: ) and i think they try to follow fedoras philosophy, not to include anything that is proprietary and thus possibly problematic for future versions of ubuntu.

the root stuff was weird. i had to find out first the hard way (=ten minutes thinking) that the normal users password is the same as root password. but once you have logged in as root, you can change the normal user password (if changing root pw doesn't work [looking at bvc]), thus having something similar to normal root setup.

a plus: the desktop is clear and the added icons in the "computer" panel are a good idea. same for the dustbin in the lower right corner.

minus: no supermount by default. this would have been nice... for me. :cheesy:

p.s.: bvc, your new avatar is from skyos, right? have you ever tried that os/distro?

Edited by arctic

Other than that, deb is deb, and gnome is gnome.....OH! xfree86? What's a matter with these people? I know the next release will have xorg but.....whatever.

take a look at their wiki-pages. they are discussing the problem that they want to give the end-user the most important stuff on a single cd. the rest (kde, flux,...) can be downloaded anyway. ;)

ummm what does having xfree instead of xorg have to do with 'extra'? :screwy:

Check if you have 2 mice and multi modes in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file

The 2 mice entries cause 2 clicks on everything. Noticed? It does make for a less enjoyable experience :lol:

This is what I had for modes

"1024x768" "1024x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "800x600" "800x600" "640x480" "640x480" "640x480"

IT's now

"1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

For those that need to fix this, don't forget to remove the mouse you comment out or delete from the

Section "ServerLayout"

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
Driver  "mouse"
Option  "CorePointer"
Option  "Device"  "/dev/input/mice"
Option  "Protocol"  "ImPS/2"
Option  "Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
Option  "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
EndSection
#Section "InputDevice"
#	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
#	Driver  "mouse"
#	Option  "SendCoreEvents"	"true"
#	Option  "Device"  "/dev/psaux"
#	Option  "Protocol"  "ImPS/2"
#	Option  "Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
#	Option  "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
#EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier	"NVIDIA Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440]"
Driver  "nvidia"
BusID  "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier	"emachines"
HorizSync	30-72
VertRefresh	50-160
Option  "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier	"Default Screen"
Device  "NVIDIA Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440]"
Monitor  "emachines"
DefaultDepth	24
SubSection "Display"
 Depth  16
 Modes  "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
 Depth  24
 Modes  "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier	"Default Layout"
Screen  "Default Screen"
InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
#InputDevice	"Generic Mouse"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode	0666
EndSection

It seems a lot of people are having that mouse problem. But i never got it  :P . Didn't you find it rather annoying that there was no home folder on the desktop? took me ages to figure out how to do it.

not at all, but I've used gnome for years and knew how to fix it. Did you notice the Documents on the desktop entry in gconf-editor along with Computer and Home? If you create a Documents folder in your home dir and check it off it'll be on your desktop as well.

ubuntu2

Ubuntu's Glider (old name SmoothGNOME) gtk/metacity

Edited by bvc