Gnome Only distro based on Debian

bvc

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to plug my ipod in tonight and see if it will config it for me since that was one of the goals w/ udev and all to just find/build/work but I could be wrong and probably have to do it by hand.

is it udev only?

devfs/udev?

I kinda need to know how to edit ml's grub :unsure:

of course I could do it the hard way.....and will be if I don't hear from ya soon ;)

========

thx John!

Edited by bvc

title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.8.1-2-686-smp
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-2-686-smp root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splash
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.8.1-2-686-smp
savedefault
boot

Looks like devfs is still there, my guess anyway...

<cybrjackle|lappy> is ubuntu udev only or is it still using devfs?
<mdz> cybrjackle|lappy: udev
--> |Gaaruto| (~|Gaaruto|@ASte-Genev-Bois-151-1-10-13.w82-121.abo.wanadoo.fr) has joined #ubuntu
<mdz> except in the installer, which uses devfs
<cybrjackle|lappy> ok, thx

mdz is one of the devel's

Alright i managed to get it installed, first of all they choose some great apps, firefox, gaim etc seems like a real nice distro and was a very easy installation. One huge problem though, i can't connect to the internet, honestly i must of tryed for an hour or so and had no luck what so ever, im using a D-link 300t ADSL ethernet modem, just incase anyone wanted to know, it uses DHCP to assign the ip address. Ok so when i go to my D-link 300t setup screen(192.169.1.1) it says my connection is running, so i try to access websites but no they just say "cannot be found" anyone had any luck with this and would like to kindly point me in the right direction?

yehaaa... i also have ubuntu running... and it is faster than mandy on my box.... two nice distros now. (skipped munjoy and yoper) to "play" with. installation was quite easy (except for some partitioning stuff), lilo and grub are included... i chose lilo. :)

handling is superb, too.

lowe, go to computer→systemconfiguration→network and set up your stuff again. my adsl-network connection wasn't properly detected in the installation procedure. now it runs like hell. i am very pleased. :woot:

:zzz: / :bvc: fell asleep installing

First boot went :wacko: on me, or rather my linux and win partitions, saying they hadn't been checked in like....47990 days....didn't know I was that old :screwy: .....went to renaming a bunch of windows/system32/drivers files :huh: ....but then after I booted to xp and checked them they weren't renamed :woot:

So the first boot set a great impression on me as I can not change the root passwd :wall:

I tried this

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documen...9-15.5722653677

....it won't let me....and I have to be root! :cheeky:

Anyone else able to change the root passwd? :angry:

Other than that, deb is deb, and gnome is gnome.....OH! xfree86? What's a matter with these people? I know the next release will have xorg but.....whatever. This pretty much tells me it'll be xorg without trans/shadow apps, although xorg's shadow sucks and has no 3d effect at all. Never seen a shadow like that b4 have you? :lol2:

Edited by bvc