Gnome Only distro based on Debian

bvc

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, my country is doing Linux proud again! w00t!

Mark Shuttleworth is a South African IT billionaire. He visited Myr not too long ago as the second civillian and first African ever in space.

He owns a company called Hip2B2 (hip-to-be-square) and is totally devoted to open source and Linux.

Go Mark!

Because 10.1 Comm (ftp install) didn't like me, urpmi and networking completely gaga after the install, unusable. And I saw cybr yesterday talking about Ubuntu. Never installed Debian before and have no experience with Gnome - I gave it a try. Hoping I could start a thread here: Debain Newbie can't get into X.

Kernel 2.6.8, Gnome 2.8, Mozilla-Firefox, OpenOffice, Evolution, Rhythmbox, Totem - quite a difference to what I am used to. Also gftp, gthumb ...

* Installation. 508 MB iso. Was ok, only the partitioning was a bit unclear for me. I had a formatted ext3 Partition. Debain installer said: something wrong with your partition, won't work honey. I had to give a / mount point, then re-format it. And no offer for the bootloader, only grub. Detected and configured the Win system and two other Linux systems just fine and integrated them. Installed Grub to /, not to the MBR. Edited my main lilo afterwards. Rebooting, and a sort second stage install and config started. Lasts forever ;-) Some strange kernel errors, but no problems so far. All hardware and network and sound properly configured and doing fine.

* Boot time: ~ 60 seconds til Gnome is up (my mdk does this in 54 seconds). Gnome 2.8. on my system is slower than KDE on mdk 10.0, and feels a bit 'heavy'. Firefox starting and rendering a tick slower than konqui. But overall: a very very nice system!

* Applications. Rythmbox plays mp3 out of the box - and that's it with multimedia. Totem does not play mpg, no vcd, svcd, nada. - So I went to ubuntulinux.org, found out how to configure an additional (official ubuntu) source with synaptic to get some goodies: libxine, gxine, mpg321, and more. No dvdcss of course, no win32 codecs, no dvd rip, but gxine is playing stuff alright now. Totem refuses still. Installing with apt-get and synaptic is fine, the preconfigured mirrors are fast. And have lots of programs.

Can't say anything about printing and OpenOffice and evolution and server apps. I added AbiWord and saw that you can now save a file as .doc/Word document, weird. Realising that this is just a pre/test release and that they are working also on their own theme/design and are planning to support even more applications, I think that ubuntu has a promising future. And money seems not to be a problem ;-)

Screenshot:

http://home.tiscali.nl/berenstraat/mdktest/ubuntu.jpg

Our board says I am over my global limit if I try to add a screenie in this posting, bah! :screwy: "Attachments Global Space Left: 22.7k" :screwy:

Edited by anna

:thumbs:

It is nice, I'm liking it my self..

I think I need to build xorg-cvs though since NO deb repo seems to have it AT ALL.

XFree86 has hated my FX 5700 ultra since I bought it and it was no different this time, I have to use 3d acceleration drivers to even get into my screen. Not like I would go w/out 3d anyway since I'm a gamer, but heh you think i could see my screen on boot :)

Pretty cool stuff though.

I'm going to plug my ipod in tonight and see if it will config it for me since that was one of the goals w/ udev and all to just find/build/work but I could be wrong and probably have to do it by hand.

Anyway, download it and give it a shot if your getting bored w/ your current distro (s)

I just built gentoo on my lappy yesterday, but thinking of throwing ubuntu on it too!

keep this in mind you Debian (only) fans!

FAQ 9

Can I use both Ubuntu and Debian packages together, in the same sources.list?

In general, it's not a very good idea. While Debian and Ubuntu are compatible to a large degree, and share many of the same source packages, the binary packages are not identical due to having been built independently.

Thus, if Debian and Ubuntu package lists are mixed, there will be some packages which have the same version number, but are actually distinct. APT currently does not handle that situation elegantly, and unexpected behaviour may occur.

Edit: The other cool thinig about this distro if your a Gnome fan boy/girl is that it is built from Gnome/Freedesktop/Debian Hackers so it will have polish from those areas....Yes, you can still install kde if you untoo.

Edited by cybrjackle

If you want some of the stuff they wont include, you could add this.

# Mplayer packages
#deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main
# Mplayer and dvd::rip (video-dvdrip)
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat unstable main

ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/dists...in/binary-i386/ <-- Take a lookie

I can tell you that I've used marillat back in Libranet a year or two ago and in debian sid/sarge. Haven't tried it with Ubuntu yet, but I will.

Keep in mind, YMMV, use it at your own risk!!!!

;)

Edited by cybrjackle

looks cool but synce no KDE suport i will stick with my unknown Munjoy Linux. wich is probably the equivalent to Ubuntu but with KDe and smooth integreated with Debian Unstable Branch.

www.munjoylinux.org

:)

No support of KDE would be streching it.

k dir

It's there so you can use kde if you want to, but if your happy with mujoy no point changing! ;-)

thanks for the info anna and cybr. I'll be installing tomorrow......so before I waste my time and cdr's...

question: is there an option to NOT install the bootloader?

question: is there an option to not format the partition?

the debian installer gives these options. Does Ubuntu's?

Thx!

I know you don't have to format partions and i'm pretty sure you dont have to isntall grub, I could be wrong on the grub part but i think i remember it asking to. At the worst, you could use ubuntu's grub and put your mdk stuff in it.

thanks for the info anna and cybr. I'll be installing tomorrow......so before I waste my time and cdr's...

question: is there an option to NOT install the bootloader?

question: is there an option to not format the partition?

the debian installer gives these options. Does Ubuntu's?

Thx!

It's a stripped down debian installer.

Yes, you have the option to not install a bootloader - and where to install it.

Yes, you don't have to format. But then, when I did choose this option, it complained, so I just formatted the part again. Then installer was happy.