Just got a WineX subscription,...

Guest JaseP

I just got a WineX subscription for 6 mos. (non-renewable).

I have to say, It works great!!! Jedi Knight II installed right off the bat and worked flawlessly. So did Fallout 1&2. I'm having a little trouble with Star Trek Elite Force and with Spider-Man (non-movie version), but I didn't expect it to be flawless.

I'm looking forward to installing Imperium Galactica 2 and Independence War, and Starfleet Academy. I'll likely try a couple of other older titles as well to see how well it does.

I really got to say that now that I've got it, I can honestly say that my position on it is stronger than ever,... that in the end it will be a good thing for Linux to have a utility like this. Those that poo-poo it I feel are being a bit too anal retentive with regards to their expectations to just sit back and enjoy that Linux has a working emulation tool that does a decent job. It really is quite an achievment and will eventually position Linux as the operating system of choice when Windoze stops supporting older software titles.

Psssstt... Don't tell DOlson about this...

Anyway.. congrats.. but you should still buy native games whenever possible. While utilities like this is a stopgap measure, it also can act like the reason of the gaming companies not to create linux ports or linux native games.

Oh, I will absolutely buy native Linux games, when I like (or think I'll like) the titles and genere.

I tried running Imperium Galactica 2, bust.

I tried running Starfleet Academy, bust.

I tried running Independence War, bust.

It think a lot of the problems have to do with supermount.

On the other hand, Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain works great.

As you can see, most of the titles I run don't have a porting issue associated with them,... In the case of Pax Imperia, the companiy that developed it may even be Out of Business or merged with another or something. So there will be no ports. I really only know of one situation where WineX had an influence on killing a port, and I think that was just probably an excuse used by the developer to explain why they didn't want to spend (or continue spending) the money and time in developing the port.

• 2 months later...
Oh, I will absolutely buy native Linux games, when I like (or think I'll like) the titles and genere.

I tried running Imperium Galactica 2, bust.

I tried running Starfleet Academy, bust.

I tried running Independence War, bust.

It think a lot of the problems have to do with supermount.

On the other hand, Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain works great.

As you can see, most of the titles I run don't have a porting issue associated with them,... In the case of Pax Imperia, the companiy that developed it may even be Out of Business or merged with another or something. So there will be no ports. I really only know of one situation where WineX had an influence on killing a port, and I think that was just probably an excuse used by the developer to explain why they didn't want to spend (or continue spending) the money and time in developing the port.

Just to clarify, Tribsoft was in discussions to port Wizardry 8, until it was found out that WineX would run the game, and so discussions were dropped. Therefore, the original developer wouldn't have had to spend time and money on the port.

And for your information, it's not only ports of games being cancelled that comes out of Wine/WineX, but the lack of willingness to even discuss porting options in the first place. So, while WineX's existance may not kill ports in progress, I know, firsthand, that companies will use it as an excuse to not even consider a port in the first place. And you said the same thing in your comment above, as if that was a valid, cool thing to do.

And just where is it that you would draw the line, anyhow? Sure, it may have killed one port that you know of, but what if it were two? Or three? Or thirty? Or three hundred? Where's the magical threshold?

I like and use WineX a lot, and I think its good that it exsists. Yes it would be nice if all games were properly ported to Linux, but they aren't. Especially for older games, who is going to port Caesar 3 or the original GTA to Linux now?

Rant over, I've had a lot of success with WineX. But I tend to play older games.

Yes, that's fine, I see your point.

However, Transgaming's goal isn't to play old games that stand no chance of being ported. No, their goal is that any Linux gamer walks into a store, buys any Windows game, brings it home, and it runs in WineX. Have they stopped working on Medal of Honor yet? Probably not. They list all sorts of native games on their list. They focus only on new games. So while that is the reason you use it, it's not the reason most use it, and it's not the reason it exists.

I've done a lot of thinking about this lately, and while I refuse to pay for WineX, and I certainly don't encourage anyone to buy it (that's why I still have my tutorial up for the CVS version), and I certainly don't like Gavriel State, and I don't agree with Transgaming, and I feel they are doing more harm than good, I also have accepted the fact that I am one of the very few to acknowledge this, and all I can do is hope to God that people will continue to or start to buy any native games that are ported. If the games being ported aren't your style, fine, I can appreciate that. If you simply don't buy because you've got the game running under WineX, then you are contributing to the problem and what will be the ultimate downfall of Linux's native gaming market. At least try the demos for games, as they are free. If you still don't want it, uninstall it. But at least give them a shot. Who ever heard of Ballistics before LGP announced it? I didn't. I hate racing games. Especially futuristic ones. But I'll try the demo, and I'll buy it if I like it. Majesty? I saw it on the store shelves for Windows. Didn't interest me. I get on the beta, and the game is frickin' amazing.

Oh, an interesting fact is: Transgaming has four times as many subscribers (from what I hear) as the number of copies of Rune that sold for Linux. That's sad. I doubt we'll be seeing Rune 2 thanks to that flop, but the game was great, and I'm sure Rune 2 will be even better. Sadly, I won't be able to play it (This may or may not be in part or in full because of WineX, I'm just using the figures to compare).

So, I guess all I have to say is, just please don't forget about native games. They are out there. They need support too.

I've been tempted on many occasions to install Wine and try playing some other game that I've got kicking around here. But I know that if I do that, I'll start looking in stores and buying Windows games that I won't play for more than a half hour, tops. So I'm limiting myself to the native games for multiple reasons. I'm getting my money's worth out of RTCW and Rune. :)

let's not let one of these winex discussions get out of hand again. just respectfully disagree. (only reason i'm saying this is because i've seen these get ugly, i've also been a part of them. and madhattr, that comment was completely uneccesary.)

Everything DOlson said. :wink:

This has been discussed over and over and over again.

If you REALLY must use it, build it from the CVS tree - DOlson even has a tut. on his page! Don't pay for it.

I've become very hardcore about this - if they won't port to my OS then they can shove their game. I have a pile of old windoze games lying at home and if I really feel like playing them I will set up dual-booting again (wow! imagine playing the game on the platform it was intended for!) but I would not jeopardise the future of Linux gaming by using WineX.

It is funny to see Warcraft 3 running in a window every now and then though...

I too am a big supporter of WineX, whether it is via CVS or RPM, it plays the games I know will not be ported, or at least not currenly being ported. I ran like a charm until I upgraded to 9.1 RC 1, now gaming barely works, and this includes WineX. It will not even run now to allow me to install HL-Op4. Good I should have left everything on 9.0 until the final release of 9.1, but I am sure the bugs would have been around even then. Most if it that I am finding, is because of the new package version being used, GCC, GTK, etc...Even linux native games are giving me a hard time. The only reliable game that runs in 9.1 is Q3A, and Team Arena. They update for the games even worked. Looks like I will be playing a tonn of Urban Terror online LMAO.

One of my favourite games is championship manager. CM4 has just been or is about to be released and the official line about linux is.... It should run in wine

This is not supported and means that I'll probably never get to play the latest version of a brilliant game on Linux - I refuse to try wineX. Sometimes it's tempting, but I also think it does more harm than good, so I will steer cleer of it.

RTCW is an amazing game that I can play natively - so at least one of my favourite games can be played at home on my desktop

I agree with you, whenever there are Linux versions I would always go for them. But there will always be some pieces of Windows software that aren't ported, and for that reason I support WineX. Plus as I say its nice for me to able to play GTA UK in Linux. :)

Guest JaseP

Geez, people are getting very touchy about stuff huh?!?!?

I personally just like the ability to run stuff that I have already, or that is really cheap (Like the Fallouts and Planescape).

But I had purchased Wolfenstein because it was native, and now can only run it in WineX. The native version just bombs on me. I might figure it out this weekend, but there is a certain beauty to just being able to install your game and run it without a bunch of file transfer, configuration and other crap. So far, the best success I've had with Linux games have been ones where amatuers have ported them (FreeSpace 1&2). Ironic, huh!?!

I agree that if linux is the OS you use the most, it is logical that you buy programs for that OS, but before I used linux, I had some windowsprograms I used. One example: Because we used the program S-PLUS at school for statistics, I have it also at home... Because I know almost never work on windows anymore it is handy to have a program like WineX...

I think WineX certainly has it's use...Some neighbours visited us and their oldest son wanted to see linux. A question was if they could run windowsprograms under it.... People mostley now only windows and they have windowsprograms that their used to work with. It is reasonable to say that they still want to use them.

About games...If developpers see that their game also sells for the linux-OS, they'll keep converting I think. I know that if it runs under WineX it is less tempting to port it, but I think that how more people use linux, the more chance there is that things will be developped for linux.

I use linux because it is stable,.... and there is a lot software for it( mostley opensource ). This is a good start for people I think, considering using linux and it is a lot cheaper(free) than windows(/MacOS?).