im a n00b and i need help...

Guest dennern

Hi...

I started using mandrake a week ago, it's my first linux installation ever, so i don't understand anything of whats going on.... :unsure:

At the moment i have two problems:

I need an instant messaging service that supports msn.

And i got this WLAN card built-in in my laptop (from where im running mandrake) but I can't get it to work... In harddrake it finds everything about the card: its a broadcom.

But under module it simply says unknown... what do I do...? i tried all the modules and different drivers in the list. (took quite a long time)... Please hlep me! :help:

Welcome dennern to the world of Linux (and of course, mandrake as well!) :D

I'm a Linux newbie, but I guess I can help with some things.

To access the MSN network for instant messaging, you'll need to get GAIM from http://gaim.sourceforge.net/about.php

Go to downloads and download the appropriate RPM for Mandrake Linux (just gaim-0.82.1-0mdkx.i586.rpm, where x is mandrake version).

To install RPMs, just double click the *.rpm (to open package manager), and follow the on-screen instructions. It's almost like running a wizard - very easy! :D Hopefully everything works out for you (dependencies, mostly). :P

Oh, and I can't help you with the networking bit, I don't know enough about that... lol

Cheers

Enjoy!

Edited by livatlantis

thanks for all the replies... excuse me my stupidity but when I was installing some drivers for my WLAN card yesterday from a .RPM there was a prompt asking me if i really wanted to install the driver.... then when I answered yes nothing happened... Do i need root privileges to perform this operation?