Cedega RPMs

PiG_DoG

A little clarification, there are two versions of cedega.

The first is the source code you can get from the CVS mirrors for transgamin, which is free. However, since that version is free, it does NOT have many of the commercial libraries that it needs to function properly. While about 1/3 of the games i've tried with the commercial version have worked, I've never gotten anything running with the free version. Occasionaly people will download the free source and compile and package it, though these are not any better and are of questionable legality anyway.

The second version is the member version and it includes all the goodies that make it work. You can only get it by registering at http://www.transgaming.com for $5.00/month. Once you have downloaded it, you can use it forever without continuing to subscribe, but only active subscribers can download. That applies to updates as well, and they have minor version updates every 4-6 weeks. 4.0.1 (updated from 4.0) just came out a cpouple weeks ago. Occassionaly you can find some very dishonest person who will let you downlaod the commercial version for free using their account (or one they hacked) but I don't kow any such people and would tell anyone if I did.

There is a minimum 3 month subscription, so to download you need to pay $15.00, but as i said, you can cancel as soon as you're done downloading and use it forever. As an added bonus subscribers can downlaod Point2play which is a graphical front end to cedega that some folks realy love. Personaly I think it sucks eggs. Also, you can download the MicroSoft Core fonts installer which does just what it sounds like. You can actualy find and install all those fonts yourself, but this makes it easy.

Hope that's all the info you need.

p.s. I've been a subscriber for a while, I think it's worth every penny and if you renew your $15 for ever update, you spend just as much as staying active.

• 1 year later...
A little clarification, there are two versions of cedega.

The first is the source code you can get from the CVS mirrors for transgamin, which is free.  However, since that version is free, it does NOT have many of the commercial libraries that it needs to function properly.  While about 1/3 of the games i've tried with the commercial version have worked, I've never gotten anything running with the free version.  Occasionaly people will download the free source and compile and package it, though these are not any better and are of questionable legality anyway.

The second version is the member version and it includes all the goodies that make it work.  You can only get it by registering at http://www.transgaming.com for $5.00/month.  Once you have downloaded it, you can use it forever without continuing to subscribe, but only active subscribers can download.  That applies to updates as well, and they have minor version updates every 4-6 weeks.  4.0.1 (updated from 4.0) just came out a cpouple weeks ago.  Occassionaly you can find some very dishonest person who will let you downlaod the commercial version for free using their account (or one they hacked) but I don't kow any such people and would tell anyone if I did.

There is a minimum 3 month subscription, so to download you need to pay $15.00, but as i said, you can cancel as soon as you're done downloading and use it forever.  As an added bonus subscribers can downlaod Point2play which is a graphical front end to cedega that some folks realy love.  Personaly I think it sucks eggs.  Also, you can download the MicroSoft Core fonts installer which does just what it sounds like.  You can actualy find and install all those fonts yourself, but this makes it easy.

Hope that's all the info you need.

p.s.  I've been a subscriber for a while, I think it's worth every penny and if you renew your $15 for ever update, you spend just as much as staying active.

Hi

Thank you for the information

I actually got a download for free on the website that will function for 15 days.

It seems like everyone is not too exited about cedega. Some of them seem to believe that it is actually not that great???? I want to test it to see if it will run RA2.

Anyway. i downloaded a file called "cedega_timedemo_installer". Can you maybe tell me how to install it?

kowash