Different distro RPMs

Artificial Intelligence

I was wondering if there are any diffrences on RPMs for the diffrent distros? I found some SuSe RPMs will there be any complication to run them on Mandrake?

.:=The AI Dude=:.

Once I tried to install a Red Hat binary file unde my mandrake linux.

Someone recommend me not too.

Anyway I didn't know how to do it and I don't know it even now.

If you are interested abut the package, google "graphon" and you will find a fast application which works excellent and is very fast in exporting your linux env.

Just today I have installed cygwin and using XDMCP and the connection to a HP-UX server was slow comparing with graphon product. I believe they use some kind of compresion in exporting the screen.

Most of the problems just lay in the fact that some distros have different file system layouts..

It sounds as though the program nmsa suggusts would work well for that though..

For example, some distros put their KDE and other environment files in /opt, whereas Mandrake uses /usr

Depending on the distro though a lot of program RPMs will work fine, I use a lot of Red Hat RPMs on Mandrake, and Fedora RPMs often work..

Use urpmi and you may get lucky - if there is no package in the mandrake repositories, you should be able to do:

urpmi package.rpm

and it will still resolve your dependencies. I do this with the non-static rpm of Opera.

Normally, you should be able to find a precompiled mandrake package though - I think they have around 8000....