Remote access

kilimanjaro

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for kilimanjoe, this is a far better way to do it. you should NOT be using a publically accessible web server to do this. it's insane. make sure sshd is installed on your home machine (via urpmi or rpmdrake). make sure it's running (through control centre). then install PuTTy on the machine at school, connect to your IP address, type in your username and password. done. you're in.

gowator: no, it's not difficult, but it is *hideously* insecure - anyone who knows his IP address can also browse his files

Yep that is the general idea...

. or, say, delete them.

Once he has this up he can change permissions of the files to r-x .. but whats the point? Every web server serves up pages for people to see... once in a while they get hacked but kilimangaro is just putting some public stuff up like photo's which many people (like me) use as a online album anyway

this is why we use ssh for  this and not nfs or http...

ssh is really no more secure in this case if he has a dynamic IP address because the known hosts will keep changing and prompting yes/no ... to connect... but ftp is used for more secure stuff.

but if you want to go through installing and configuring sshd and setting it up good luck ...bye!

byer

:D Hooray scoopy! It worked.

Now, my next question, how do I access file in the folder. I can see ther html.index, but not any of the files in the folder.

How do I link what I see from my page to actuall files, how do I create directories?

And, the next big one is users and passwords.

Maybe something I should have said earlier, Idon't know anything about html, other then how to surf the web.

Edited by kilimanjaro

Now, my next question, how do I access file in the folder.  I can see ther html.index, but not any of the files in the folder.

did we change the owner of all the files ? to root ?

How do I link what I see from my page to actuall files, how do I create directories?

The files should come up as a list, which you can just click on... and it will either open in the browser or become a download... that's if you are allowing directory listings (we can deal with that later)

If you want to put a link to your files on a web page (possibly even index.html) you can do something like this. Say we want to make a document available for download. Place a copy of this document (ex: school.doc) in your "test" folder and pretend the index is one level above this. You would link School Document to /test/school.doc

What I do to make folders... I made me a "superuser" konquorer browser for this purpose. (In KDE) Right click on desktop and choose Create New --> File --> Link to Application. Link it to kdesu konqueror. This gives you a file browser with root's permissions.

And, the next big one is users and passwords.

That's a whole new ballgame there. Let's take this step by step. Just don't go posting any of those "special" photos of Sarah yet ;)

On my way to work buty that looks good.

Once again index.html is not any special file its just taken by a web server as the 'default' in a directory when nothing else exists....

To make one try openoffice (create new webpage)

You can even open the default one... to have a look.

As you say you now have your own server.....

Like Scoppy says hold off on putting up anything provate this is for the world to see. :D but its kinda cool first time you do it :D

Have a look at no-ip.com and dyndns.org ... these allow you a movable address, when your ISP changes your IP these will update it in the world postbox...

thats how the link you did to mine works...( if the IP stops working its because the address was changed ...)

you are well on your way here....

I sense you now getting distracted from the initial path... (cool) - which was sharing files.

You might want to check some of the LDP networking stuff.

(Anyone know a good starter/primer?)

Then learn the basics and understand where else you can go and what else you can do... (loads)

there is a big difference between remote logins like ssh and remote file access ...

remember you are basically just accessing a limited branch of the filesystem here, not controlling anything.

You have two paths from here.

You can use ftp to upload files and also have a password protected area or you can use ssh and fish as a method. This is more secure but setting up a working ssh and sharing files across it is more complex than setting up apache and doesnt give you anything new for your immediate problem.

p.s. You are now a server admin... well done!!!!

so how do I do directory list?

Try this:

put a few files in your test folder.

then make a new text file with the following line and name it .htaccess (make sure it begins with the dot)

Options +Indexes

this should give you a listing of everything in that folder...

BUT you can not have an index.html page in that folder.

and yes you can change that apache index file to whatever you want to come up when someone goes to your IP address.

:thumbs:

I tried to make an index.html file and it didn't work gowator keeps telling me to use OO, but I really, I mean really, don't know what to do when I open up a editor.

What do you mean when you say text file? Are you talking about a text edoitor (something else I don't really know much about)?

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

:oops:

Index of /test

Name Last modified Size Description

Parent Directory 19-Sep-2004 21:12 -

Populus fremonti.jpg 06-Aug-2004 05:28 991k

Tips and Tyson.jpg 18-Jul-2004 16:45 1.0M

kilimanjaro.jpg 15-Dec-2003 08:33 46k

tech:resume 1page.sxw 18-Sep-2004 13:17 8k

Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.29

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: