Remote access

kilimanjaro

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can anybody tell my how I can set it up so that I can log into my computer ffrom the school microsoft systems?  Is it even possible?  What packages?  I was looking at the openssh.

SSH is definitely the only way to go. There is an excellent free utility which I don't remember the link for, but just google "putty +download". It will be the first or second link. Make sure if you have a firewall, or need to do port forwarding, you have port 22 open. I have putty and pscp on my thumb drive at all times. :afro:

Keep in mind, though; that you won't be able to do anything graphical with putty.

Not with putty alone, but you can tunnel other ports across your ssh connection and use vnc through an encrypted channel. I used to do that ALL the time.

There are tons of good tutorials out there for that if it is your thing. My suggestion though regardless of having high speed connection at home is to make your background something dull like medium gray with no images.

I guess what I am really wanting to do is access files from the internet, such as homework or digital photos, and be able to files to my system. I have been reading the doc from the putty site and I'm still not sure if I can do this.

I don't know what vnc or tunneling is.

Edited by kilimanjaro

if you have a static IP then you can just export the files to that IP...

then you can mount them from school and just read/write

well this would be the case if you had a linux pc at school and could use nfs and I think it will be similar under samba...

in effect this is all the gmailfs thing is doing...

You can either go to Explorer and Map Network Drive (where you will use IP address and share name) or...

Why not just stick things you might want into /var/www/html/mystuff

then apachectl start

Then you just need to browse ???

http://<yourip>/mystuff

if you wanna browse your home dir then try

ftp://<yourip>/

??

uhh...Yes, and if I just bypass the flux capaciter, I won't need to replace my muffler bearings.

Its not difficult...

If you are running apache webserver then you can create a directory in /var/www/html and browse it form the internet just by specifiying its name.

i.e. if your ip is 1.2.3.4 then the DocumentRoot in mandrake (base directory the internet sees) is

1.2.3.4://

if you make a directory called myshares then typing

1.2.3.4://myshares will browse this dir, any registered mime types (jpg,html) will be accessible in the browser, others can be right clicked

alternatively if they are a bit more private then stick them in your home dir and run proftp

then you can just type ftp://1.2.3.4 (and specify the login/password) and you willsee your home dir...

What you seem to want is the files, not the desktop....

the desktop is just incidental to this and you dont need it.

Im pm'ing you a link