GNOME 2.8 Released.

Lowe

GNOME 2.8 has been Released.

Stolen from Slashdot

"The GNOME 2.8 Desktop and Platform release is the latest version of the popular, multi-platform free desktop environment, out today, with an awesome schedule time. Some pretty cool improvements have been made, specially the Nautilus file manager, the new MIME system and others. Release notes are already available, as well as screenshots and a variety of sources. Enjoy!" jimmy_dean adds a plug for the new GNOME Journal, which is meant to be a source of "good written material surrounding GNOME and the opinions of the community."

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

better get GarNome then ;)

neutron posted this link in another thread

http://wwwra.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~wa.../gnome2.7/RPMS/

ignore the 2.7....they're 2.8, supposedly

readme.txt

This are my packages of GNOME 2.7 for Mandrakelinux 10.1. They depend

on other packages in the Cooker main and contrib repositories, so

please don't try to install them on 10.0.

Götz Waschk

Edited by bvc

I've heard a little about this GarNome, but don't know exactly what it is. Is it a better version of GNOME 2.8 ? It doesn't say much about it on the GNOME site. Will I be able to keep my existing theme and icons ?

Please tell me more about it.]

edit;

So they don't work with 10.0 ... and since I haven't managed to get the upgrade going .... I'll have to compile.

Edited by a13x

garnome for gnome and konstruct for kde are just scripts that do the hard work for you. So, it's not another version. Just an app/scripts that help automate the compile process. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but you DO NOT want to compile either by hand, I promise you, you'll be at it far longer than all night, and there's a much greater chance it won't work....that's why garnome and konstruct exist? At least sometimes it works. Read the instruction carefully, and it tells you how you can install it next to your current working gnome. Usually, most people install it to /opt. Yes, it'll use the same themes. Nothing to loose but time ;)

Edited by bvc

Inofficial Mandrakelinux packages (Score:5, Informative)

by Götz (18854) <(waschk) (at) (gmx.net)> on Wednesday September 15, @11:10AM (#10256375)

(http://plf.zarb.org/

GNOME2.8 came too late for Mandrakelinux 10.1 (just as KDE 3.3), that's why I've created my own packages. You can get them from a urpmi repository [uni-rostock.de]. Remember to add the Mandrake Cooker (soon to become 10.1) and Contrib repositories as well for some of the dependancies.

http://wwwra.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~wa...drake/gnome2.7/

Don't let that adress fool you. the packages are 2.8. No need to wait a week :)

edit: you can never post this enough. Anyone else want to post it??? :woops:

Edited by devries

I think it's better to upgrade. I'm doing this right now. GNOME 2.8 has many features and bug-fixes and is faster. I'm using a Cooker repository and can update only the parts I want and need.

edit;

Devries

Oh, I understand now, you are just inlove, with GNOME 2.8 :lol2: .

Edited by a13x