not connecting to the internet

Guest sam

I am just a newbie, trying hard. I have installed Mandrake several times.

1. Why, in the network setup process, does a page display asking for a choice of host from a list of many countries, but not USA, where I am?

2. Why does the modem dial and seem to connect, then display the message that I am not connected? Then continues to redial every couple of minutes?

3. Can I turn the modem card sound off like I can in W2K? And is there an icon that displays to let me know when I am connected?

4. I would like to see my second HD, but it doesn't seem to be there.

:help:

Probably your issue with the hdd should be addressed in a separate thread, but start by doing a

dmesg | less

using up and down arrows and space bar to move around, and "q" to quit. Scroll through see if the OS even sees both hard drives. The first will probably be hda or hdb or whatever. An optical drive will also obtain one of these, but you will see something obvious like "Western Digital WD8xxx" or whatever. Start there, and post a separate thread if necessary.

As far as your country, look harder. I had the same thought initially on a list with some *nix, maybe Mandrake. It was actually alphabetized which I am not used to being from the doze world. It's probably there, or possibly listed as America or something.

I am personally unfamiliar with dial up in *nix, but you may just try doing a google for "wvdial +HOWTO". I understand wvdial is a great utility.