Always that missing dependency

Guest peatcom

Hi alll,

I've recently installed Mandrake 10.0, for hosting mythtv, and I've read and followed all good advices ion howto use the urpmi (this is really good, since I'm used to apt-get from Debian).

My problem is that there is always some package missing, which I have to look all over for, and then there is that other package and then again.... Isn't there an easy way to fetch all dependency packages in one go?

By the way, how do I reslolve which package neede when the system tells me that per(WITH_LARGEFILES) is missing??

Thanks for any hints and advices!

Isn't there an easy way to fetch all dependency packages in one go?

Yes it's called urpmi. It doesn't matter if a package is stored on a CD, or PLF or Contrib, or a floppy etc etc, urpmi takes care to install it. The trick is ofcourse to have the 'right' repositories (called media in Mandrake).

You'll probably only need 2 (besides the CDs and Update): PLF and Contrib

Use this site: http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php to install them. (the seem to be down at the moment)

To look for a rpm packages that contains a file you need use: http://rpm.pbone.net/

Good luck

Thanks,

The specific problem is that I try to install mythtv. I have the right repositories, and when I run urpmi mythtv it seems to install, but running locate doesn't return any results. (Maybe I am doing this the wrong way?)

If I start the Program installer in KDE, mythtv turns up as not installed. Trying to install it all sorts of missing dependencies turns up (such as xmltv, perl-xml... etc)

And,the system returns missing dependency perl(WITH_LARGEFILES), I have big troubles finding exactly what is missing. Searching on rpm-packages returns 0.

:help:

Have you done 'updatedb' (as root) after you installed mythtv and before you did locate? :)

I don't know the exaxt command to start mythtv from a console but try tab-complete, ie. type my and then hit tab. That will show a list of commands beginning with the letters my. Choose mythtv-frontend (I'm guessing here) and see what it gives.

Good luck