Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Community)

bvc

I'm in cooker.

10.1 seems good, just one problem with udev, and waiting for a new version of the nvidia driver.

I'm waiting for cooker to unfreeze : gnome 2.8, kde 3.3, xorg 6.8, a lot of probably broken stuff to test ! Trying to guess what's gonna bug every morning in cooker, that's linux fun !

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this (minimal) review: http://spidertools.com/man101_review.php

This is not getting on my machine for now! some of the reasons from that review (the firewire issue being a major pain):

Firewire Detection Will Change Networking:

If you have firewire on the computer Mandrake 10.1 will by default make this eth0. Please note if you are doing an upgrade this feature will screw up your whole network configuration! What a happy thought. It will also destroy your firewall configuration as you must choose which ethernet card is the outside source and so if you have firewire it will changes this all around. Mandrake's recommendation if you are updating from a previous version is to delete your whole network configuration and rebuild it. This is sure to make some users very unhappy.

Wait!

Quit releasing versions that freeze up, have bugs and things don't work. Mandrake Control Center had to be restarted several times because it just stopped working. It did work in the end but it is very frustrating

The Menu

Mandrake boasts having over 1800 packages for this distribution. Why when I open my menu do I only see 40. Yeah, I know you can add programs but if you add them all you do not see them on the Menu

Mandrake has taken a lot of heat over releasing distributions full of bugs, just check the message boards. Unfortunately, I found a number of bugs that would be show stoppers for a business to use Mandrake 10.1, like problems with Control Center.

Mandrake has taken a lot of heat over releasing distributions full of bugs, just check the message boards. Unfortunately, I found a number of bugs that would be show stoppers for a business to use Mandrake 10.1, like problems with Control Center.

that is the price they have to pay if they want to realease the latest up-to-date distro. and users should keep in mind that

1.) community edition is nothing more or less than a beta for bug testing and

2.) that they shouldn't rant as much because nobody tells them to use the latest stuff available, which is known to be full of bugs.

if they want something stable without bugs, they should switch from mandrake to e.g. debian woody. :P

.... or ubuntu :lol2: ...sorry for posting some ubuntu-propaganda here. :cheesy:

The firewire problem is just in the release notes that were not updated, that has been fixed.

On a side note, it is less than 1 minute work to delete all network settings and redo them. This is in no case a showstopper or even major annoyance.

This guy made a review that has good and bad points. As the translator for Dutch I can tell you that all installed GUI software will show up in the menu. Don't know why he doesn't see them, I get all stuff that I install on my menu. Does take a few seconds though, since Mandrake actually makes sure all menus get updated.

He installed on one system, I on 3 sofar, I have seen some problems, but telling that there are showstoppers for business users is really just too darn much. Who in their right minds would even consider that? They never ever install software that is not 3 to 6 months old. So OE is the one for businesses, and only about 2-3 months after public release at that. That comment is not wrong, but just plain dumb. CE is for the early adopters.

BTW I have not had any problem with MCC not starting.

He should file a bug, not write an article. And investigate if more people have this problem.

The point of CE is getting the software out while it's still hot, for the early adopters, and getting a larger userbase to find more issues, just like with the LG-cdroms - a problem that they didn't catch even though they were installing on such a system, they had a non-affected firmware.

Mandrake is not releasing with more bugs, they just happen to have a larger userbase.

What were the problems with 10.0?

- network not working during installation, I had to setup my network printers later

there were some more minor things.

Major problem:

- XP/2000 not booting

Guess what, FC and SUSE suffered the same problem. Likely even many more distributions, but non have enough users to make waves about it.

Anyway, FWIW:

10.1 CE is for anyone who has no fully working setup, wants the latest and doesn't mind the annoyance that comes with the latest.

If your setup is completely functional, why waste any time?

If you can sit things out and won't report bugs anyway, wait for OE.

If you want to make sure that things will work fine for you, install CE (if possible: next to, not on top of your current system - which is why I advice to create an extra partition to use as root partition at disk partitioning) and see what doesn't work for you, then send in bugreports.

Problems with 10.1CE:

no LIRC. :angry:

no gkrellm-server (maybe on cd5, don't know - have to add 'main' as repository and see if it shows up)

and then some minor things;

haven't setup my mx700 mouse yet (mousegestures rock, so don't really need that), nor my philips vga webcam.

Other than that it seems great.

I've installed it without any problems, I noticed the firewire bug and that wasn't any problem since it was selected as eth01 and my Realtek is Eth0. But overall it runs much better than 10.0 . The problem I had with the Sound in Xmms is all over. The only thing i noticed that isn't correct is that K3b miscalculates the availble space on a CDR. This is only a graphical bug because it complains if you get over the 700mb. And it says when your burning that the space is 751 mb, when its really 700 mb. But I didn't found any other bugs or things that aren't correct.

I use it now and it really is a great release all the problems I had with 10.0 are gone :D And i can listen to music without any problem.I'm pretty suprised with this release because with version 10.0 I was founding 9.2 more stable than 10.0 but now i'm thinking that this is one of the most stable CE releases in the mandrake history. Mandrake has really done a great job with this release. And i'm looking forward to the Official edition :D

Now I have tried 10.1 community and I must say it runs more smoohtly and painless than 10.0

Beta or not....it's great!!!! :)

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

Quick update:

got everything working except VGA resolution on my webcam and LIRC.

Seems they forgot to compile the LIRC modules; will see if I can manage.

I am open for suggestions on how to compile just a handful of modules!

gkrellm-server and imwheel (necessary for the mouse thumb buttons on the mx500/700) are in 'main' and on cd5 (which I got access to since I have gotten a VIP membership for my work on Mandy). Just adding main (easyurpmi rocks, and this tie it is even updated) will do fine.

Hope to have my config page ready this weekend, and a full review (with info about installation, configuration and use on a variety of systems, instead of just one machine telling: hey it rocks/sucks) in about a week..

My current feeling: Mandrake 10.1 CE rocks. I'll probably still stay a paid clubmember even though I got the VIP membership.

Edited by aRTee

I have just installed MDK 10.1CE to my wife's old desktop machine (HP Pavilion 4550Z, 128MB, Celeron 466 as far as I remember).

The only words that come to my mind to describe the experience are perfect and flawless. No problems at all for the time being! It works much better then the 10.0 on my laptop.

Great job Mandrake! Thanks to everyone contributed to this milestone release.

As a persisent and vociferous critic of things Mandrakesoft, I have made the trip over here from my two posting homes now, linuxforum.com and linuxiso.org, to say that I successfully downloaded and installed Mandrake 10.1 CE. For the first time since I don't know when, a Mandrake release has worked right from the install. I have not yet put it through the paces I usually do, but the fact that it bettered Suse 9.1 made me feel that I should say here that this is real progress. There may yet be a few niggles to work out and there is still the silly descriptions like very nice etc. when you do individual package selection. For the first time since the dark days of the bankruptcy, I can see the hand of the new ceo taking charge. If this course is steadied, then there can be nothing but success in the Mandakesoft future and those who have been its dedicated supporters through thick and thin. If the final lives up to the test, it will occupy an equal place with Suse as my preferred distributions.

Counterspy

I had an upgraded release, starting from beta1. I downloaded and did a fresh install just for giggles. My system now is running faster and is pleasantly responsive. (I always use kde) This release is an improvement over 10.0. I just would have liked to not see the game played with kde 3.3, but hey, they've got to offer some reason for The Club!! B)

BTW, will an official/community MDK10.1 boot faster than usual? Well, in this "OtherRequestedFeatures"-article MDK-developers are writing "Parallelization of startup scripts to save bootup time". So I'm just interested to hear if some progress is made. At least I feel that MDK10's (all GUI-distros?) boot up time is just too long. Impatient? Me? No way...

Yeah, yeah, I know for some of you this boot up time is irrelevant, you keep your computers on 24/7/52, but I guess most of us won't. And this is a thing which is for most of users more significant than a bunch of new programs...

IBM's article