Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Community)

bvc

I will

[root@localhost root]# cat /etc/release
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Community) for i586

I went to get a pkg tonight and the database needed updating again. I thought that was strange since I had just done it, though I was late, very late for rc1. Did urpmi --auto --auto-select and saw about 20 new pkgs installed this being one of them. mandrakelinux-release-10.1-1mdk

since I've urpmi'd everyhting since 9.2, I haven't kept up with the release schedule.

Edited by bvc

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can't be good. I feel this is too soon even for a "Community" release. Feels just sloppy.

Myself... I think I'll wait for Official or even 10.2 Official. What's the time for that release, next week?

Well Mandrake 10.1 missed KDE 3.3 and X.org R6.8...

Mandrake used to be latest and greatest but it seems Fedora is more entitled to that term now.

However, I know for a fact that the CJK input is vastly improved with m17n and a new XIM server SCIM, you can change the input language (eg. from Japanese to Chinese) on the fly with this new release!

Edited by zero0w

Hmm. On second thoughts, I want to get more involved with drake's bug solving. While I can't follow cooker or the community distros (only one PC, student, poor, homeless, yadda yadda yadda) I can and will get the official releases and start "pestering" developers more often. Hope this helps. So see you when 10.1 Official is out!

it's just 2 files.

/etc/release

/etc/mandrake-release (or did they rename it to?)

could they have included the wrong rpm? There's no announcement on the site, and the schedule link above doesn't even show rc2 being released yet either. I just, 2 days ago, updated urpmi and auto'd to rc1. I guess my mirror could be wacked out though.

They had an RC2 planned for 10.0 but that one went straight to community too.

If you want to bughunt, best thing is to do it with rc's and community - they will want to make Official Edition the best they can.

As for KDE3.3 not being included, please think out of the box. Sure, FC may get it. But don't forget that FC is just a testing product, it will not be boxed.

Next to that, KDE3.3 is not so stable yet, and, more importantly, far from fully translated.

People who are calling that Mdk should have it, are basically saying: sure, we don't care about people who use other languages than English, and we don't care if those people don't use Mandrake anymore.

Please THINK. Thank you. /rant...

Personnally I'd be more happy with an RC2, but ah well...

bvc, can you tell me if lirc is present?? The main part of my dislike for 10.1rc1 is the omission of LIRC...

That and my pc (and laptop) not shutting down.

As for no announcement having been made, I guess that they are waiting for the mirrors to be updated.

And naturally they have to seed the torrents.

Edited by aRTee

> Please THINK. Thank you.

Ah well, that does change the fact that Mdk is not supporting the latest as it used to be.

Its release schedule in March and September is what makes it will miss X.org latest release (around the same time or a little earlier), as well as the latest GNOME release.

Perhaps it is more stable than Fedora (that I'll need to verify it sometime), but Mandrake used to be the latest and greatest. Now it's not. The translation issue is understandable, but Mdk's release schedule makes it always later than Fedora (and even SuSE) to adopt the latest release of various packages (X.org, GNOME).

Edited by zero0w

bvc, can you tell me if lirc is present?? The main part of my dislike for 10.1rc1 is the omission of LIRC...

That and my pc (and laptop) not shutting down.

Since I run the vanilla kernel and went cooker>rc1>ce via urpmi I don't have a default setup to be able to say.

the vanilla kernel doesn't have it. But I'm sure you knew that

[root@localhost root]# slocate lirc
/usr/share/doc/totem-0.99.15.1/lirc_example
/usr/share/doc/gkrellm-plugins-2.2.2/gkrellm-radio/lirc.example
/usr/lib/directfb-0.9.20/inputdrivers/libdirectfb_lirc.la
/usr/lib/directfb-0.9.20/inputdrivers/libdirectfb_lirc.so
/usr/lib/liblirc_client.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/liblirc_client.so.0
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_serial_animax.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_atiusb.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_bt829.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_dev.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_gpio.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_i2c.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_it87.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_parallel.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_serial_irdeo_rem.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_serial_home.ko.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.tmb.8mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_serial_irdeo.ko.gz

Now Mandrake made a small change to the release schedule site:

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/...dule_estimation

The RC2 date have changed to "cancelled"

Since they did not change the releasedate for 10.1 Community - i guess they are still planning to release it today (?)

But I guess initially its just for the Club members - with bittorrent - as it was with 10.0 (?)

Well I downloaded it. Installed fine on my Laptop. Tried it on my AMD K63/400 256mb with no luck.

When it would reboot and I would select "linux" from lilo it would say something like Bios Check Successful and reboot my computer.

So I thought it was my computer. Installed:

Mandrake 9.2 - worked

Mandrake CE - didnt even boot to the cd

Suse 9.1 - worked

PCLinuxOS - worked

Mandrake 10 cooker (Jan eddition) worked

So I think its Mandrke 10.1 not my computer. It worked on my Laptop but not my homebuilt computer. Oh well Ill try the next release.

From the release notes for 10.1 community (yet to come ...), interesting, a new choice for a mini iso (+/- 300 MB):

Install Stuff

-------------

* You now have the possibility to add extra media (CD or network) during the installation. This means that you can download only the disc 1 or the new mini disc 1 and add a network source to complete your packages list.

* Boot with the Mandrakelinux10.1 Community-mini.i586.iso

* Select HTTP or FTP extra medium.

* Wait for basesystem to install.

* Follow the steps to configure your network.

* Enter your mirror URL (check http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/cookerdevel.php3 to find mirrors). Use the complete URL path, and preferably use the frozen 10.1 subtree instead of the cooker one, e.g. ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...586/media/main/

* Add a new medium or proceed with the packages installation.

Sounds good.