How do I keep existing user when upgrading

aperahama

I am wanting to update my from 10.0 to 10.1

What files do I need to keep and reuse so that I don't have to re-enter all the existing users and their passwords. There are only six users on this system but they get pissed off with me when I upgrade and they have to all get new pass words.

are you choosing the upgrade option during install, doing urpmi --auto-select, or doing a fresh install & just wanting to preserve users? if it's one of the first 2, then you won't need to do anything. if it's a fresh install, then you'd need to leave all current /home partitions unformatted & unmounted during the install.

though i haven't tried it, you do realize that MDK10.1 is still in beta/testing stages & is bound to be very buggy? with that in mind, do you really want to do this? if you don't want to be having to fix things & deal with some apps that may be crash prone or not work properly, i'd advise waiting until 10.1 becomes official.

Chris

Hi Chris

I am planning to do a fresh install, I do understand that I don't need to format my home partitions but that is not where the user lists and/or pass words are. I have been running mandrake from 7.2 and each time I do an upgrade I need to re enter everybodies detail (name, password, file owners, groups etc) each time. In the pass I've had problems with the wrong home file being alocated to the wrong person and then having to change the owner of files etc.

This information must be in a file somewhere.

Edited by aperahama

i THINK the info is stored in the following places........

/etc/passwd.........holds user information.

/etc/shadow.........holds the encrypted passwords.

i'm at work on a Windows machine so i can't verify that.

Chris

i THINK the info is stored in the following places........

/etc/passwd.........holds user information.

/etc/shadow.........holds the encrypted passwords.

Thanks for your prompt reply Chris

i'm at work on a Windows machine so i can't verify that.

Chris

Unfortunate you :D