Never Winter Nights works in Linux using Wine

Relic2K

I'm only going to be using my WineX subscription to play games that AREN'T going to be supporting Linux that I absolutely can't live without (mostly those I already have).

By the way,... WineX runs Jedi Knight 2 faster than windoze... really and sincerely.

Oh, well, notify BioWare then and tell them that we don't need a port.

Thank you Wine. You saved the day again. Thought we were gonna have to have a real Linux program this time, but no, you come through again with your magnificent emulation of the Windows operating system. Hooray.

Thank you Wine. You saved the day again. Thought we were gonna have to have a real Linux program this time, but no, you come through again with your magnificent emulation of the Windows operating system. Hooray.

Am I seeing a hint of bitterness and sarcasm today there DOlson? :)

NWN.. I remember that someone who has a similar computer to mine (athlon 900) with the notable difference between I have more memory and he has a GF3 while I only have a GF2MX (I forgot who it is though). He claimed that NWN run in wine faster than windows, while I receive the old seconds per frame problem.

He's obviously not talking about JK2 because there is no JK2 native for Linux. There was never any response from the developer (who was not against it), since they indicated that both LucasArts and Activision would have to approve it (easier to bullseye a wamp rat in your T-16 Skyhopper, they're not much bigger that 2 meters afterall). The only Quake 3 based games that are out for Linux in native format are: Quake 3 (obviously), Return to Castle and Wolfenstein.

Unreal Tournament 2003 has Linux natives on CD 3 (plus patches on the web). Neverwinter Nights is due to have a Linux native client by some time in first Quarter 2003. Doom III will likely have a Linux native client (perhaps as download, perhaps as an on the disk feature). Elite 4 (successor to Elite, Elite +, Frontier, and First Encounters) will likely have a Linux client (if it's ever published, so far it's vaporware), as well as possible X-Box, PS2 and Nintendo Game Cube versions.

why boycott just winex? why not boycott wine too? after all, it does the same thing.........

hell. boycott all emulators while we're at it........

point: winex is good for running old (as in, already released) games that companies have stopped working on and will never bother porting to linux. or games made to run in directx (those bastards), which, again, will mostl likely never be ported to linux.

it IS useful. it is NOT an excuse to not make a native port whenever possible.

linux users are not the majority, and we all know the majority rules.

at this point, i still dual boot w/XP so i can play my favorite games-accept when they are available for linux (UT2k3 for example).

point: winex is good for running old (as in, already released) games that companies have stopped working on and will never bother porting to linux.  or games made to run in directx (those bastards), which, again, will mostl likely never be ported to linux.

it IS useful.  it is NOT an excuse to not make a native port whenever possible. 

Really. So then, since Diablo 2 is relatively new, when compared to Diablo 1, then we should expect Diablo to work perfectly, and not Diablo 2. But this isn't the case. Diablo 1 doesn't work at all.

Really, have you ever talked to any of the programmers who port games to Linux? I have, and you should. Go on irc.freenode.net and join #lgp and ask them about WineX.

Oh, and you may want to ask Gavriel State yourself how he plans to support native gaming. Ask him why they tore down the notice on their site that said they would release back all their source once they hit n number of subscribers. When I last talked to him, he still even admitted that he and WineX were responsible for where Loki is. He thinks that WineX is a superior method of "porting" games. But that's not the case. Hell, their Kohan games are still Win32 executables running on a tweaked version of WineX. That is NOT porting.

As for the DirectX argument, well, it's just not valid. Loki ported many games that use DirectX, and so too now LGP is porting them. The games can be ported - there is no excuse to use WineX.

Now, you mentioned Wine as well. Well, I don't use that either. And if someone MUST use WineX, I suggest they use CVS, since the so-called copy protection is nearly non-existent, and the installer support doesn't seem to change between the pre-built binaries and CVS. Oh, and if you had actually read the thread, you'd see that I said "Wine" earlier and not just "WineX" making your point of none effect. Really though, I don't see how you could have missed that part, since it was even the part that you quoted...

If you feel fine using WineX and Transgaming "ports" then fine, so be it. I can't change your mind. But just so you know, I really don't give a shit anymore. Linux gaming is dead. I've bought a Playstation now anyhow, so I don't need games for my PC.

just beat me over the head and call me retarded...i tend to go off on things before i know as much as i should know-what can i say? i'm hot-headed....

I still think WineX is useful, to an extent. I never said I agree w/transgamings ethics or way of handling things. nor do i think any company should ever use WneX as an excuse to not port their game to linux-it is sad that they do.

nonetheless......i'll shut up now since i'm not worthy...

just beat me over the head and call me retarded...i tend to go off on things before i know as much as i should know-what can i say?  i'm hot-headed....

I still think WineX is useful, to an extent.  I never said I agree w/transgamings ethics or way of handling things.  nor do i think any company should ever use WneX as an excuse to not port their game to linux-it is sad that they do.

nonetheless......i'll shut up now since i'm not worthy...

I never said you're not worthy.

I think I'll shut up since everyone seems to think I'm trying to be all high and mighty here, and trying to own the forums. Well, I'm not. I'll shut up.

Blah.

I never said you're not worthy.

I think I'll shut up since everyone seems to think I'm trying to be all high and mighty here, and trying to own the forums. Well, I'm not. I'll shut up.

Blah.

that's not what i meant....i was just being sarcastic, about myself, not about you...i never thought you were trying to be all high and mighty-you know more than i do, that's all. was just admitting to that fact :)