Long bootup

Guest dennern

When i startup mandrake 10.0 and press [ESC] so i can see what its doing. At some point it reaches a thing called eth0... and it takes ages to load :zzz:

(2 - 3 minutes) this is really annoying me since i don't know what it is.... could someone please give me an explanation to this...

P.s. I'm really noob at this, it's my first installation.

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman]

I quess you are connected to the Internet via LAN on your mainboard or you have a ethernet card. If this is not the case then it means that you have LAN enabled in the BIOS of your Mainboard so go into the bios and set it to Disable onboard LAN. This will then stop Mandrake detecting it and trying to set it up thus it will just breeze past it.

I have ADSL and am connected by LAN so my system does take a little time at the ETHO point, as you experience, and I expect it.

Cheers. John.

the time needed for the networking card to work properly (= initializing eth0) also depends on the type of network-card you have. some get connected faster while some need more time. especially those network-cards that do not explicitly say that they are designed for windows, mac AND linux (that is: they only mention windows and/or mac) might take a bit longer because their architecture is not "grade A" for a linux kernel (just think of a puzzle and the last piece needs some pushing and twisting to fit into the puzzle).

I had the same problem when I had dial-up. It was trying to initialize a connection that didn't exist. Go to MCC->Network->Manage Connections(I think) and there should be a check box that says 'enable at boot'. Just uncheck this and you should be ok.

If you actually do have dsl/cable service, then the story is different.

I have several boxes hooked together with a router, and tied to the internet via a cable modem. My Win2K takes forever to boot, hanging on the "configuring network" (?) stage. My MDK boots up in just a couple of minutes, total, from bios to logged-in, ready to work.

I think that by assigning an IP address (static), your initialization of eth0 would  be quicker.  If you're using DHCP, though, you might have to just wait...

That might cut down on the startup, but not the best option. As static IP's cost $$, depending on your ISP.