2.6.3-16mdk-i686-up-4GB - Match Kernel-Source

Okay, I was able to install the drivers for the new nVidia 6800, and got too *cocky*... I guess that is how one gets from NOOB to Accomplished Linux User

Been messing with the kernel source, and now I am buggered.

uname -r

2.6.3-16mdk-i686-up-4GB

rpm -qa | grep kernel

kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.3-16mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.3-7mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-2.6.3-7mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-source-2.6.3-16mdk

So what I would like to do is have kernel-source equal the uname -r output - Right?

I know I have some stuff to delete... had it all working last night on 2.6.3-7, and got frisky this am.

I have tried to urpmi the 2.6.3-16mdk-i686-up-4GB and it says no packages found by that name... Perhaps it is just the name I need to get right?!?

Once I get the kernel and the kernel-source synced up, should be able to get the nvidia drivers back up and running...

So what do I need to do next to get this up on the i686-up-4GB kernel?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this NOOB!

Hmm I don't know really about this since I don't have nvidia video card, but I know that for mine these don't match,

$ uname -r
2.6.3-16mdkcustom

and

$ rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-2.6.3.7mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-source-2.6.3-16mdk

As you can see they are both different kernels listed.

-Luis

Hey Luis,

Actually Luis, your kernel-source and your running version DO match! Both are 2.6.3-16mdk in the example you provided. I am not certain that the "custom" reported by the UNAME report will make a difference. I would think that you probably compiled that version, or piece of software did a little compiling when it installed.

I just figured that since I have 1G of ram, it would be good to use it all. Worked fine until I decided to get 3D graphics out of my card(s).... and WOW, 3D graphics is very worth the effort! Screen savers actually run now...(grin)

I did get my issue delt with - can you say "reinstall" cause I did! Now it's working great.

HTH