MDK 10.0 won't install

Guest chat1410

Guest chat1410

It's possible this is a PEBKAC problem but I sort of doubt it. I recently built my own computer, its key points are 1 gig of RAM, 160 gigs of HDD space, 3.06 GHz Intel Pentitum 4 processor, and an ATI 7000 Radeon video card. I've installed Windows XP and it works fine. I've burned MDK 10.0s files on three CDs. When I place the CD in the drive and turn on my computer it boots right past it (boot order is Floppy, CD, HDD). I can open the autorun in Windows and I've wrote the CD image to floppy and when I did that I got to screen 1 (the F1 for help and Enter to continue screen). After I hit enter it searches for the data on the floppy and not on the CD. I'm open to any and all suggestions (except for uninstalling Windows [unless I can reinstall it again]). I'm a newbie to Linux but not to computers, I'm only coming here because "this is ground I havn't traveled and have gotten lost". I understand this is a forum, not a chatroom, but I ask for replys ASAP (I'm holding off transfering files until I get Linux on it and I'd like to be using my built computer 100% by the time we go back to school [hurricanes a coming]).

Sorry if I am going to go over the obvious things so please don't take offense. We have to start w/the easiest and move up. Could it be you have your cdrom jumpers set wrong (i.e. jumper is set to slave instead of master). Do you have a cdrom and burner? If so, have you tried the other one? Will the Windows disc boot from cdrom or will another pc boot from the Linux cd? It doesn't appear to me an issue with the Linux cd.

BTW: How are you guys coping in FL? I use to live there.

Edited by spiedra

Did you burn the downloaded cdrom files as iso or did you just copy them on to cdroms.

If you did not burn them as iso then the disks WILL NOT BE Bootable, fullstop.

Please let us know how you go. (hurricane not withstanding).

Good fortune and remember to keep your head down.

cheers. John.

Guest chat1410
Could it be you have your cdrom jumpers set wrong (i.e. jumper is set to slave instead of master). Do you have a cdrom and burner? If so, have you tried the other one? Will the Windows disc boot from cdrom or will another pc boot from the Linux cd? It doesn't appear to me an issue with the Linux  cd.

BTW: How are you guys coping in FL? I use to live there.

I have two CD drives, a DVD-RW and a normal 16x (its old). The DVD-RW is the master, although I have quite a werid setup. Since my case is clear I must make the insides looks somewhat "pretty". The only way I could get my IDE CD cable to fit right (and look "pretty") was to plug the salve plug into the master drive and the master plug into the slave drive. I have the jumpers set to Master and Slave though so I don't think it would make much difference. I have not tried it with the CD in the slave drive, I will try that soon and get back to you. I installed Windows via the master drive (I believe that was before I added the slave though). I havn't tried to boot another computer off that CD and if its really not nessicary I don't realyl want to. It's sunny today, I cut the grass, theres no gas at any station though. We don't prepear much. We have some water and soem cash and some food. No borded up windows. No leaving Florida. No worrying over the hurricane (Well my mom is my dad and I arn't).

Did you burn the downloaded cdrom files as iso or did you just copy them on to cdroms.

If you did not burn them as iso then the disks WILL NOT BE Bootable, fullstop.

Please let us know how you go.  (hurricane not withstanding).

Good fortune and remember to keep your head down.

cheers.                          John.

What do you mean? Did I unpack what I downloaded and burned that? Or did I burn exactly what I downloaded (not unpacking anything). I did the latter first and it didn't work so I unpacked it and burned the unpackages.

If I understand you a little bit, you have burned the cd's wrong, you should burn the three cd's as an Image, not unpack them first, you should get a burner program like Nero and burn iso image to cd's, not unpack them cause then boot information gets lost , there is also a program that burns images with XP explorer :

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Guest chat1410
If I understand you a little bit, you have burned the cd's wrong, you should burn the three cd's as an Image, not unpack them first,

Do you mean I brun exactly what I download? Because that doesn't work, it can't get to auto play in any way shape and/or form. Soon I will try to boot off the slave drive.

Hi chat140.

What the devil is this PEBKAC you mention so often ???. I have never heard of it before.

It appears that, as I suggested, you were NOT burning the CDROMs correctly.

I am glad for you that you seem to have made progress.

You seem to have ignored our request for info as to whether you did or did not follow our advice. This sort of feedback helps us determine whether our offered help is useful or not.

John.

Guest chat1410

PEBKAC stands for Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. I have another problem though, I don't like to read documentation until I must. How do I get to the Linux GUI?! Theres atleast 8 chioces I can boot into, I'll list if needed. I going to play around with it and hopefully I can figure it out but just in case, I wouldn't mind someone telling me.

I have tried my best to give you all requested information. I did burn the CDs wrong.

Edited by chat1410

Thanks chat1410.

I do not think you should regard yourself as PEBKAC. So help me, we all have to learn somehow or another when we venture into new territory. And the fact is, you are learning and I compliment you on your success so far. We are all right behind you.

Cheers. John.