Web Hosting

hovercrafter

How can I setup apache to access HTML pages stored in users home directory. For example

someuser.mydomain.com would route to /home/someuser/html

I can get it working using virtual servers, but I have to keep the directories under my /var/www/html/someuser

The reason is I would like to limit them to home access on FTP and thought it would be easier if I could set this up so their www files were just stored in the home directory. I dont know if this is the right approach, perhaps I need to do a link to the /var/www/html/someuser from the /home/someuser. Any help would be greatly appreciated

TIA

Hovercrafter

I don't normally give answers like this, but I saw nobody else was answering.. RTFM!! NO, seriously, google "apache +HOWTO" or something like that.

Aside from that, give a more clear idea of what you are trying to do. You say www files and throw out ftp in the same cluster of words. Are you trying to cache internet pages, or let people develop web material locally and view it from an internal web server?

Ok i got the problem figured out. It was with my UserDir directive and for some reason apache wasnt allowing it. I did some restructering on the httpd.conf file and it is working find. Basically all i wanted was to user the user home directories public_html on my server but it wasnt working. it is now.

Now for another more complicated question. How would I go about redirecting URL's (im not sure if its a redirect or a rewrite I need). What I would like is the following:

requested url: userpage.mysite.com would be the same as mysite.com/~userpage

I have my dns set up properly to direct to my server. I just need to get apache configured to handle it.

Thanks Alot

Hovercrafter