DVD burns too slow

aRTee

Well, the topic says all, but to explain a bit more:

I got a nec dvd burner, ND3500.

Mounted it into my computer, and since I wanted to test mdk10.1rc1 anyway, I upgraded my (old) mandrake 9.2 system -- if no-one tests the upgrade option, how can they ever get it right...?

Anyway, after a reboot all was well, I got a warning when starting K3B that it detected a new device and if I couldn't tell the maximum cd-burning speed; it proposed 47 so I changed that to 48 since my burner can do that as a maximum speed.

Now, I then burnt a dvd+rw at 4x which went fine, and readable in my other drives, including the one at work.

Then I tried a dvd+r 8x drive, but k3b would still only let me choose 6x as max. The speed settings are: auto, ignore, 1x, 2x, 4x 6x (maybe not even the 1x, not sure about that one).

Note: my burner is a 16x drive..

It wouldn't burn unless I chose 'ignore'. Then it told me it would burn at 6x (after I had it start the burn), first starting at 4x burning, and after some time switching to 6x.

It never went higher.

So: how can I get higher speeds, at least 8x should be possible....

Oh yeah, no scsi emulation, dma is fine (load rarely gets above 10% even when pumping 6MB/s to the drive)...

I tried to use google to find more info, but there's just too much unrelated stuff with the terms 'dvd, burn, linux, too slow, speed problem,..'

BTW other than the speed problem I can say that the NEC 3500 works fine with (Mandrake)linux, I have not tried any dvd- media, only dvd+ (not sure if I will, dvd- really is less good).

The burn speed is determined by the media itself and not the max speed capability of burners drive. Therefore it won't matter how hard you try to set it above the medias max speed it will not change things. The medias properties are embedded in the pre-formatted disc and is read by the burner to make the correct settings for that disk .

This is the reason, for example with a cd-r or a cd-r/rw, say the disk capability is 52 times and you select half speed (26 times) to ensure an accurate burn , you often find the burner changes that selection from 26 times to a new figure of perhaps 24 times . One of the optimum burn speeds for that particular media does not happen to be 26 times. The same principle applies to burning DVD media as well.

My burner has a cd-r/rw burn speed capability of 32 times but I am hard pressed to find discs with even 12 times burn speeds and any attempts to try and burn a 12 timer at above 12 times is useless.

Cheers. John.

Hi! It can be also because your DVDs dont support more speed than 8x. So far i havent seen any DVD over 8x burning capability. For example i have a external dvd writer 16x8x16x and i use to buy 8x dvds and the real speed they r burned is 5x the most of the time and the same with the cds writers. So dont worry.

Thanks guys for answering!

My burner supports 1x, 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x and 16x for dvd+/-r discs (not sure about 10x).

Normally with cd-recording, If any value is selected in between the drive's options, like Aussiejohn indicates: 26 chosen, the drive will go down to the nearest option; most drives do 16x, 24x, 28x, 32x etc for cd-r, not 26x, hence it will go to 24x in that case.

However, I'm just trying to burn a dvd+r 8x disc at 8x, which is a speed my drive certainly supports.

It could be the case that the dvd disc is not recognised, in which case a firmware upgrade should help.

Note: if you burn at 8x normally the burn should begin at 4x or 6x and then, depending if it is a CLV or CAV mechanism, either suddenly (CLV - constant linear velocity - apparently what my drive does, it suddenly jimps from 4x to 6x) or gradually (CAV - constant angular velocity) switch to higher datarate burning.

It is mentioned in some tests on the web that 12x burning can take less time than 16x burning due to the moment the drive switches burning speed...

Another thing: dvd 1x is around cd 8x, and since I put 48x as cd-r speed, could it also be that k3b just takes the cd-r speed divided by 8 as max dvd burning speed?? Long shot, and should not be that way, so I don't think so, but I'll try....

BTW there are already 16x Philips dvd+r discs out there, but I haven't seen them myself yet.

Also I'm not worried, but curious where the problem lies in this case - K3B/dvd+rw-tools, system, drive (firmware), disc,....

If anyone has more insight, please share it here.

Amazing, I just put 64 as max writing speed in K3B and I could select 8x for dvd+r burning.

It really burns at 8x now, it starts at 4x then at 25% (~3 minutes) it moves up to 6x, and later it moves up to 8x; total burning time: 9 minutes something seconds. Normally at 6x that would have been 12 minutes or so.

Not sure where to file this as a bug - at Mandrake or K3B; after all, 99x is the max, but 16x dvd burn speed corresponds to 128x ....

Edit: I just put 96x which gave me the option to burn at 12x.

Since I have no such discs, it doesn't matter for the moment, but just reconsidering the talk on the web (reviews and such) that at 12x a dvd may well take less time to get written than at 16x, I'm quite happy...

Edited by aRTee

• 2 weeks later...

As you can see here: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=89706

I filed this bug at KDE bugzilla and it is fixed. The patch worked for me, and in future versions this should be ok out of the box.

If I'd been around so there wouldn't have been a 2 day delay this would have been fixed in 2 days. Open Source and no support? Surely they're joking! :P