Server Name

Guest IsmaelY

Guest IsmaelY

Hi All, Here is another one for you... I (stupidly) when setting up Mandrake and the NIC when it asked for hostname of gateway i put in the Router (my gateway) IP address (as directed from the notes in the wizard) anyway when I am in a shell or try to access localhost as you guess I run into problems. I did a search and found a few posts all saying similar things (use hostname change hosts file). Well what happens is that when I use hostname localhost it changes the name in the shell and I changed the HOSTS file (commented it out) of course that in itself causes me problems (machine gets lost sometimes). Anyhow after rebooting and coming back the name is back to the ip address (ie: root@192.168.2.3) This is driving me nuts!!! :furious3: Where else is the name kept? I also deleted the ethernet card and started again and left the field blank but guess what.... YEP BACK AGAIN!!

Any help appreciated....

Guest IsmaelY

I finally did it but after I rebooted it was back again.... What I did was delete the hosts file and add another network as the FAQ and there we were back to normal...

Thanks for the assistance.... :afro: