10 Reasons to not use Cedega

iphitus

An article written by DOlson, seen on slashdot today,

http://curmudgeongamer.com/article.php?sto...040904215153278

http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/09/06/2...&tid=10&tid=106

I agree with him. Out of the few games that have been rated to work that I have tried, only 2 have worked, and one very inconsistently. I have resorted to unfortunately going back to windows for gaming. I agree with the speculation that it discourages ports. Transgaming have been communicating with Valve (of Steam fame) to help make Steam work better in Cedega. Valve are doing this, rather than making a port. This could actively affect the chances of seeing a HL2 port, which are already awfully low.

iphitus

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm not read the article yet but its worth considering that transgaming did the same thing with other titles (like the simms) where they made it Wine compatible but then left their users high and dry on the optionws packs (having purchased both they were unable to play the same game)

I for one am tired of this topic.

Are you saying that it's better to have Windows installed on your system then use Cedega? Because that's bullsh*t. And it doesn't prevent ports - it enables Linux users to play games they never would've. Would you rather play HL2 with Cedega or not at all?

Unfortunately there are not enough Linux gamers out there to convince all companies to release ports. Id will always do Linux ports, irrespective of Cedega (in fact, Cedega supports Doom 3 until the Linux port is released). Transgaming is involved with porting themselves and sell native Linux games in their shop.

I'm not going to carry on, it's very simple for anybody with half a brain to see that this argument is old, tired and unjustified.

If you don't like/support Cedega, then don't use it. Me, I'm enjoying Doom 3 too much to care (and I'll use the native version once available).

Cedega is better than dual-booting. Period.

EDIT: DOlson's article is well written and researched and I respect his approach. I even agree with him on some points. But the crux of the argument, that Cedega should not be used, I disagree with. Please don't take this as a completely opposing statement, just as a different view. Cedega is not perfect, but it's a darn sight better than using Windows - which classifies you as a Window's user and is bad not only for Linux gaming, but Linux as a whole!

Edited by SoulSe

It may not, directly prevent ports, but it it doesnt encourage them in any way.

After all, only 3% of people want the game on platform A, and there is a company claiming that they are doing what they can to make it work on that platform. What do you think the company will do?

Valve - who now maintain the Steam, and the titles it serves: Half Life Engine and many associated titles, including Counter Strike - rather than looking at the possibility of a port, after being contacted by Transgaming, are now co-operating with Transgaming to make Steam, and it's titles, work through Cedega. Although a port at this stage is awfully unlikely.

Valve are the ones now responsible for Half Life 2. Do you not think that the relationship they have with Transgaming will encourage them to make a port?

Anyway, I'll summarize like this. Transgaming are not encouraging ports, and are not doing a thing that could advance Linux in this area.

Contrary to what you say, Cedega is shocking, and yes, I would much rather play games in Windows than Cedega.

Why? Not so much because it discourages ports, but performance. My computer is hardly a powerful one, and the graphics card, is bad enough as it is. Don't get me wrong, I love to play games in Linux, and although there are many pitfalls, I still use Steam, along with Enemy Territory Native. I am even considering using Linux at the LAN party I am going to next weekend, however, it's not likely. Because Windows works and will do the job, quicker and more reliably. (as much as it pains me to say that)

Steam, I get much a much lower fps in Linux, as well as the fact that it is completely unreliable. Steam may completely refuse to connect at times, requiring a reinstall and update, which is time consuming and irritating.

Command and Conquer: Generals, I tried this game, and it failed miserably. I wasnt even able to have it start. In Windows, it is just playable, within Linux, even if I was able to start it, the fps would be prohibitive and amazingly poor.

Battlefield 1942 and Desert Combat, It started, it ran, although needed cracks to do so,which is something I would prefer to avoid. All the text was unreadable, and I managed to load a game, which was completly unplayable. Desert Combat, which is why I have battlefield, doesnt even start.

Hitman 2: Fails miserably, I see the opening videos, then the main menu is garble. Although transgaming do not support this.

Now do you see why I reboot to Windows to play games?

I think the difference is important....

I use an MS keyboard (as does DOlsen if I remember) and I own an XBOX...etc. etc. but what he's saying is consider not using it...

I dont use Cedega, I dont use Wine or have ANY windows install anywhere!

Games are.... games....

This isnt an app I need for work, professionally or whatever its games... purely optional .... so I use native linux games only, if not I play the Xbox (which is dual boot) but I dont ever ever play emulated games.

Until dooms 3 is native I will miss out but its only a game and I have better things to do with my time.

Transgaming let a lot of people down.... they may not have lied but they sure came close to misleading people to buy then leaving them high and dry.

The only way you can know it discourages ports is if you -ask the developers-. Please point me to a single developer who has said, "Instead of porting to Linux (which we were considering until now) we're just going to use Cedega".

Fact of the matter is, there are many people who would not bother to even think twice about Linux compatibility because of the pure cost vs. profit comparison. They'd spend more money making the port than they would get off the sales coming from said port. Cedega gives them another option, where they don't have to spend large amounts of money on their own developers to port it.

Also remember, the ratings of the games are done -by users-, not by Transgaming. They just support or don't support, users rate how well it works. Don't blame them. If it doesn't work for you, then vote the rating down! If it's supported, report your issue and work with them to fix it!

If you want Linux native ports, boycott anyone who will not make them. Make a big stink. Get your friends not to buy the game. Make them -loose money- because they won't port it. Otherwise, you're spitting into the wind. *splat*

It seems to me that some people expect and want Cedega to be something it's not.

If you want to get Windows off your system, but are prevented from doing so by a favourite game, then Cedega may be able to help. Or it may not. Check the forums to see how well your game(s) work, what problems people have had etc.

If your game(s) work OK, then Cedega allows you to get rid of Windows. It has done this for me by allowing me to play Everquest on Linux. The performance is indistinguishable from playing under Windows.

Cedega is not and does not claim to be a Windows games emulator.

If you want to be able to play any Windows game that comes on the market your best option is to keep a Windows install around. Simple as that IMHO.

If you don't play a whole lot of games but have one or two you can't leave behind then Cedega is providing a valuable resource allowing people to ditch Windows.

Battlefield 1942 and Desert Combat, It started, it ran, although needed cracks to do so,which is something I would prefer to avoid. All the text was unreadable,

Iphitus, are you sure you've got your fonts set up correctly? Try copying your Windows fonts to Cedega's fake Windows C: drive.

Fonts thread

But I'm sure you'll stick to playing games in Windows anyway! :P

The only way you can know it discourages ports is if you -ask the developers-.  Please point me to a single developer who has said, "Instead of porting to Linux (which we were considering until now) we're just going to use Cedega".

Fact of the matter is, there are many people who would not bother to even think twice about Linux compatibility because of the pure cost vs. profit comparison.  They'd spend more money making the port than they would get off the sales coming from said port.  Cedega gives them another option, where they don't have to spend large amounts of money on their own developers to port it.

Also remember, the ratings of the games are done -by users-, not by Transgaming.  They just support or don't support, users rate how well it works.  Don't blame them.  If it doesn't work for you, then vote the rating down!  If it's supported, report your issue and work with them to fix it!

If you want Linux native ports, boycott anyone who will not make them.  Make a big stink.  Get your friends not to buy the game.  Make them -loose money- because they won't port it.  Otherwise, you're spitting into the wind.  *splat*

tyme

I know the developers.... of some very big ones....

by which i mean the actual developers, not marketing or whatever.

The reason it prevents ports is simple.

they dont need to!!

each game bought by a linux user and either run under Cedega or dual boot is a vote against it.

Fact of the matter is, there are many people who would not bother to even think twice about Linux compatibility because of the pure cost vs. profit comparison

I agree but equally most just dont realise the potential market or even possibility. A friend who left EQ went over to a competitor and discovered linux...

I had been telling him for years...

He kept telling me it was impossible and I never got as chance to prove otherwise...(largely due to the savage twister card on my laptop)

then he came in and he's been programming in linux and never wants to see windows again!!!

EQ had hardly even heard of linux.

Iphitus, are you sure you've got your fonts set up correctly? Try copying your Windows fonts to Cedega's fake Windows C: drive.

Fonts thread

But I'm sure you'll stick to playing games in Windows anyway!  :P

Fonts are fine, even when i did fumble myway into the game, it was shoddy fps. like 1fps, whereas it's smooth in windows.

I for one am tired of this topic.

Are you saying that it's better to have Windows installed on your system then use Cedega? Because that's bullsh*t.

Actually - I reckon it is better to dual boot than to use Cedega - but that's just my opinion.

Let the flames begin! :cheeky:

Well ultimately Im not sure its a whole load of difference.

However, if the linux market is so small as to make ports of many games non economic then each Cedega user or Windows user just goes to make it even less so and those marginal ones fall below the line.

Having said that Im not for telling anyonme don't use it but I am for reminding everyone regularly its bad for linux especially linux games.

Gee every time I use my car its bad for the environment etc. but again people have a right to chosse but reminding them is no bad thing.

My mum *needs* a car where she used to live. As a pensioner the 10 mile walk each way to the nearest shop was impractical whereas now she can _live_ from what she can buy in the tiny village store. Still it does no harm to remind people...

if you really really want games, go ahead... I won't even criticise but I do maintain the right to remind you its bad! :cheeky:

What erks me is how anyone can even suggest that dual-booting into Windows to play games does less damage than using Cedega? I'm sorry, but it's painfully obvious that the opposite is true.

Now, how can you say "Transgaming damages Linux gaming" and the two steps later say "I'd rather use Windows." What you're saying is: "I don't want to damage Linux, so what I'm going to do is... damage Linux..."?!?! Wtf peeps? That's stupid.

I suppose you support the Democrats but vote Republican and think smoking sucks but go through a pack a day? It's hypocritical and not too bright.

If you're going to support something, do it properly, don't do it half way and piss with the puppies.

Sure, I use Cedega, but I don't have ONE single Windows partition (not even at work anymore). I am not even emulating windows, because Cedega is not an emulator (not under the hood anyway).

If you want to use Windows, be my guest, but then don't bitch about the killing of Linux, because it's something you're doing yourself.

Well my opinion is different although i agree with lots of your statements :screwy:

I suppose you support the Democrats but vote Republican and think smoking sucks but go through a pack a day? It's hypocritical and not too bright.

Well in the first case avoiding the banned topics but lots of Republicans I know are voting democrat this year. They beleive that is whats best not only forthier country but also for their party in the long term.

I used to vote labour but since new labour is now more like the conservatives than the old conservatives I might vote SDP? ??? Its a screwy world ???

I know lots of people on 2-3 packets a day who think smoking sucks!

If you're going to support something, do it properly, don't do it half way and piss with the puppies.

Well I do I have NO WINDOWS not only OS wise but app wise. I dont have Cedega or anything else....

but

I disagree that dual booting is worse.... for linux

For the user Id say getting everything working in linux is a good goal, even if it needs cedega or an emulator.

For linux games tho I think not.

I see too much being done in half-way like the SIMMS thing. they made an inferior game undr win because it didnt use the option packs et al...

I see no clear cut which is better for linux ....

both have disadvantages and taking your statement to heart

If you're going to support something, do it properly

so the answer is plain...using neither is best for linux.

When someone can remove Windows from their computer, install Linux and still accomplich everything they could before (including playing their favourite games) then you will get more people doing just that.

Cedega is helping this to happen.

I understand the argument that game vendors will be less likely to produce Linux versions, but imagine this scenario:

In five years time, Cedega version 20 (or some other project inspired by it) is released and is guaranteed to be able run any game produced for Windows at exactly the same performance levels with no problems or difficulties at all. It gets included in all the distros for free.

All of a sudden there are no Windows games or Linux games, there are just PC games. Buy any game and use it on whatever system you have.

Surely this would be the ideal situation? (Assuming that all games vendors producing Linux version of all games is an unattainable goal.)

No doubt it's a difficult goal to acheive, especially with Windows constantly changing, but surely Cedega as it stands is a step in that direction?