To all 10.1 RC1 users

liquidzoo

Ok, I know there are a couple of RC1 users out there. I need some input here.

I recently had an issue where I couldn't install the nvidia drivers using the same kernel (and source, I think) that RC1 uses (2.6.8.1-8mdk).

Have any of you run into strangeness while trying to install the nvidia drivers? Is it just me and my cooker-clouded system (:lol2:)? Tell me your stories if you've had issues (I know Ix had issues with the kernels themselves, but that's different).

Explain your issue more..

I've had various problems installing the Nvidia drivers..

I've had it tell me that there was aproblem with my kernel sources (even though it was all installed correctly.) and to get around it i did "sh nvidia-blahblah.run --add-this-kernel" and it'll build a "custom" nvidia driver for your system in nvidia-blahblah-custom.run and then i used that to install the drivers. that worked flawlessly.

On the latest kernel in the cooker though I'm still unable to successfully install the nvidia drivers. It tells me that it can't load the module when you try to modprobe it due to the version magic being different, some output message like "kernel 2.6.8.1-3mdkcustom should be kernel-2.6.8.1-3mdk" and i've been unable to right that problem, even when using the --kernel-name=2.6.8.1-3mdk during the nvidia driver installation..

i've had many problems with kernel 2.6.8 though, such as harddrake no longer working on boot, no longer being able to burn cds, the X server getting all screwy and crashing my system, and other various issues such as those..

I've given up on 2.6.8 for now, still using 2.6.3-15

Those are my experiences that I can remember (I've had many more problems)

I haven't tried the --add-this-kernel option yet. Maybe I'll do that next.

What I've tried was installing the drivers on the 2.6.8.1-8mdk kernel (cd burning fixed, not sure about harddrake) and having the nvidia installer tell me that the module couldn't be built. It's a pain. I've rolled back to 2.6.8.1-2mdk for now. cd burning is still an issue (k3b will burn if you run it as root, though) but at least the nvidia drivers (and hence my games/screensaver/etc) work.

Yes, I had a kernel issue and nvidia won't install, despite my kernel and sources matching. I'm going to try your work-around in a minute.

k3b worked fine with the 2.6.x kernel in 10 and beta1. I still have two other os installed that require scsi emulation, and my set up worked in all. Simply don't emulate scsi eith 2.6.x kernels. Burning did not work at all in beta2.

Yes, I had a kernel issue and nvidia won't install, despite my kernel and sources matching. I'm going to try your work-around in a minute.

k3b worked fine with the 2.6.x kernel in 10 and beta1. I still have two other os installed that require scsi emulation, and my set up worked in all. Simply don't emulate scsi eith 2.6.x kernels. Burning did not work at all in beta2.

I just found out from illogic-al in #musb that there is a bug in all 2.6.8 mandrake kernels higher than -5 that breaks the nvidia drivers. A possible solution is to copy the pm.h file from the sourcedir/include/linux/ folder of a kernel < 2.6.8.1-5 into the -8 folder, but I haven't verified it. The bug has been reported to the cooker list.

Edit

For those interested, here is the bug report: http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11060

The fix I suggested seems to work for some, but not for the very last poster. I replaced the files from work, so I will try it tonight when I get home. I'll report my results.

The fix described in the bug report I posted above does work.  I am now running kernel 2.6.8.1-8mdk with the nvidia drivers and everything seems to be working just fine.

Hi LiquidZoo, can u send me that file please? :D I would be appreciated.

The fix described in the bug report I posted above does work.  I am now running kernel 2.6.8.1-8mdk with the nvidia drivers and everything seems to be working just fine.

I'll do you one better (If I can) and post it here for everyone thta wants it.

Needs to be unzipped to /usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-8mdk/include/linux/

pm.zip

• 3 weeks later...

I'll do you one better (If I can) and post it here for everyone thta wants it.

Needs to be unzipped to /usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-8mdk/include/linux/

hi... I have troubles installing the nvidia driver in my mdk 10.1 community... I installed the new pm.h and did a sh NVIDIAxxxxx611.run --add-this-kernel and it didn't show any error messages just the rivafb... but when I use the new package it shows this error:

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface

-> License accepted.

-> A precompiled kernel interface for kernel 'Linux 2.6.8.1-10mdk #1 Wed Sep 8

17:00:52 CEST 2004 i686' has been found here:

./usr/src/nv/precompiled/precompiled-nv-linux.o-1.0-6111.1096240438.

executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; /usr/bin/ld -d -r -o nvidia.ko precompiled-nv-l

inux.o nv-kernel.o'...

-> Kernel module linked successfully.

ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This is most likely

because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files.

Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your

kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the

'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel source

files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the

'--kernel-source-path' commandline option.

-> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko':

-1 No such device

ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file

'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions

on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux

driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Im sure I have tthe correct sources installed but I don't know why it shows this error.

Thanks!!!

:thanks:

ls -l /usr/src and see if the symlink matches the output of uname -r

Here's the output:

[oscar@localhost oscar]$ ls -l /usr/src

total 8

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 sep 26 17:46 linux -> linux-2.6.8.1-10mdk/

drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 sep 26 17:46 linux-2.6.8.1-10mdk/

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 sep 26 10:50 RPM/

[oscar@localhost oscar]$ uname -r

2.6.8.1-10mdk

[oscar@localhost oscar]$