Windoze for Warships!

Darkelve

It's unbelievable. Makes th e movie Independence Day all the more real. You know, the seen where one of the main charachters uploads a virus thru wireless? (Although in the movie, the alien system looked a little "macish!")

Heh, and I'm living just across the the northern sea....wonder when I'll see a missile in my backyard marked M$.

Seriously: What they gonna do if their system gets infected with a virus or hacked for that matter. It's a disaster!!!

You know the US military has been using M$ for the desk tops solders use to get their Emails and they just don't like the security but its the supposed best they can find.

The US coast guard tried about 3 years ago to use M$ as the only ship board os. It controled everything on the boat. Or at least tried to. It was off line more than online. Under all conditions. After 6 months the Us navy told them to go back to the old stuff untill the M$ crap worked better. To this day and after millions of dollers the M$ os has yet to be the primary ship board system.

And NOW the UK thinks they can make it work?

Linux is being used in ALL new Army weapons systems. It just works. And works every time. Look it up. From personal deffence systems to vehicle controle systems and missle systems.

M$ must have promissed someone one heck of a job if they got the UK navy to use M$. Thats what happened with the US coast Guard Admeral who deccided for the US. M$ is loosing and this is their last hope.

Well maybe they will go down with the ships.

Anyone want to bet that the top brass that made this scandalous decision were not bought off by Microsoft ???. After all Microsoft has so much money floating around it is dead easy to make a buy off and get away with it. As usual the decision is not made by the technical people, who are soundly ignored and usually have good ethics and mostly could not be bribed.

You can bet there will not be an examination of the financial status of these morons

because fellow morons will make sure it doesn't happen. I just wish there was some way to lay criminal charges against these type of grey suits at a later date for sheer criminal fraud and criminal incompetence.

That is one reason I like the Chinese solution when they unearth fraud by anyone of this type.........They take them out and shoot them. Too strong ???. I do not think so.

Cheers all. John.

these things are hardly ever straight forwards but have to do with some 'suit' or literally in this case 'top brass' who have no idea about technology including probably the car they drive and/or the ability to install windows at home.

Its tempting to go along with the straight bribe theory but its probably not true :angry:

The reasons are important because you (yep you) are likely to be involved too since this applies just as much to civilian companies as military.

The way this works is Microsoft or more likely one of their drone companies sends in the sales staff. In this case its more likely a drone company becuase someone will be paid for the devleopment work more than the licenses however MS provides marketing materials and stuff. Most likely it involved promotional weekends in country clubs or the like as opposed to hard cash.

However the next part is the clever part. Having convinced the top brass of the viability of windows they then explain that only windows has .... at which point they name the security patches etc. but these are ones which are only an issue in windows. No other OS allows you to turn off DirectX since no other OS is stupid enough to have it.

They then come up with those stupid charts showing W2K has XXX but *nix does not... and they forget to mention the reason *nix does not is becuase it isnt needed.

Even cleverer they then dismiss the internal views of the loyal techs as 'well meaning but niaeve' of course this guy means well but he is a obvious anti-MS zealot, he only hates them because its commercial ... he's a nice guy they maintain but just an obvious commie tree hugger.

Now everything this guys says when he's trying to maintain his countries or companies security is a sad smile by the knowing top brass. They know he means well but those nice guys in fancy suits explained it all to them ...

hmmm... i instantly have to think about the story of a brandnew american warship (a cruiser) some months ago that also had microsoft (=black death) on board. result: "hey we go to a maneuver. boom boom boom!... uh... catastrophic server error.. we are dead in sea... help!!!!" 24 hours dead in sea... cool, eh? now, when will we hear something like that from the royal navy? tomorrow?

hmmm... i instantly have to think about the story of a brandnew american warship (a cruiser) some months ago that also had microsoft (=black death) on board. result: "hey we go to a maneuver. boom boom boom!... uh... catastrophic server error.. we are dead in sea... help!!!!" 24 hours dead in sea... cool, eh? now, when will we hear something like that from the royal navy? tomorrow?

Nope youll never hear that from the organisation that predicted radio had no value outside military communications..

How would you, their comms equipment is likely down too.

Now... scary thought how about a Win controlled sub!!!

I have a friend who's an officer in the Royal Navy.

Apparently many of the non-front line ships have been running on Windows for some time.

He told me about a survey ship that ran aground a couple of years ago, rumoured to be due to Windows crashing. The navigation officer on duty was court martialled.

My friend's opinion (he wasn't there obviously but had heard some first hand accounts) was simply that the officer was relying too heavily on the computer and was too slow to react when it crashed making him too late to correct the course so the ship ran aground.

I dread to think of the consequences of a similar incident aboard a Destroyer or nuclear sub! :o