Drivers & Config

worf105

Hi all,

I have been using Windows for most of my computer life and I have tried Red Hat 9 once. I have decided to give Mandrake 10 i586 a dam good try. i know that there is a AMD 64-Bit one out at the moment, but as I am new to anything other that Microsoft I am not willing to but at the moment so I will try this free download.

I see there is a 4th CD that comes with this but it is not available @ mandrakelinux where I am downloading the other 3.

I am here to introduce my self and ask a few questions.

Questions:

Do i need the 4th CD?

I am keeping my Windows install to play games, e-mail & MS Office and is intalled on a RAID array. I have left 60GB+ unpartitioned space for Mandrake 10. Is this O.K.

Will Mandrake 10 find enough of my hardware to install and were is a good place to find the other drivers that i will require.

Any other advice is much apprecated.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Edited by worf105

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi worf :)

You don't need the 4. CD. When Mandrake installer ask for it press <esc>.

60gb is just fine, I'm myself are using 60gb to Mandrake and 20 gb to WinXP Pro.

On Mandrake home page is a list of hardware that Mandrake is supporting. (I can't remember where exactly)

.:=The AI Dude =:.

Welcome to the board worf

I'm a recent convert myself from the world of M$ to linux - the ride is sometimes a little bumpy, but it's a journey well worth the making.

I would advise you to simply go ahead with your install - you'll soon find out what exactly MDK can find and what it can't. If your dual booting you should be OK - you'll need to defrag first. Check out the documentation on the MDKLinux web site and it'll walk you through the install process. One word of warning though, again, visit the mandrakelinux website and check out your CD rom. MDK9.2 chewed up a couple of mine!

This BB is a great resource - simply looking through some of the posts should encourage you. Do some googling, look at some other BBs and you'll soon get the picture. If you're still having any issues, post here and your more than likely to get some assitance. Be specific with your Q's, and if you need any additional drivers etc, its more than likely somebody will point you in the right direction.

Don't rule out using your MDK for office (open office is good) and for email/browsing (i.e. Konqueror,firefox - which you can also use in M$, Thunderbird, Evolution etc etc etc)

Using linux means a different way of thinking and doing things :juggle: . You're gonna be so used to doing things the M$ :devil: way, that there will be times when your patience and sanity will be tested :jester::lol2::jester: but hang on in there and after a short time you'll soon find MDK bedded in.

Thanks all,

devries; The 60GB is part of the RAID array. What problems should I look out for?

Echylo, ChrisM; I will be using open office, ECT. I use them at work (Sun Microsystems) and find them really good. I am looking forward to tabbed browsing :D

Artificial Intelligence; Just out of curiosity, what is on CD4?

ISO's 1-3 are 67% downloaded, won't be long now.

What boot loader do you recommend...

Kind Regards,

Andrew

I'm not quiet sure what's on CD 4, but anyhow what's on the CDs you can download through Mandrakes urmpi system.

Go for lilo boot-loader

.:=The AI Dude=:.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/features.php3

RAID controllers: most RAID controllers are supported, excepted for IDE and Serial-ATA. 3Ware IDE and Serial-ATA RAID controllers are supported though.

And I would be very surprised if you didn't have SATA or IDE drives. Linux can do RAID but it's mosly software RAID and Windows can't do that..

Hi again,

CD's are O.K.

First problems:

When i boot from CD1 i get all the text which is fine except if get things along the lines of:

hde lost interrupt

hdg max request size: 128KiB

hdg lost interupt

after that in the graphical section when you choose the language this is O.K, but after agreeing to the license the box Gray's out for about 10 Min's. once it shows test i get the following:

i can't read the partition table for device hdg it's too corrupt for me :).

i can try to go on, erasing over bad partition (ALL DATA will be lost!).

the other solution is to not allow DrakX.....

After that i go on to partitioning.

Box shows:

hde

mount point: /mnt/windows

device hde 1

DOS drive letter C (just a guess)

size: 168GB (147%)

hdg

all greyed out.

"size:168GB(147%)" my SATA drive are 120GB each.

I feel that it can not see the RAID array and only recognises the drive as singles.

help needed to get me through this :help:

Note:

On the text part of install it said something about DMA on these drive. I have not enabled DMA on these drive as yet, but will if required.

Also said something about control Bit on IDE and a work around...

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Edited by worf105

What's your RAID controller? You'll probably need some extra drivers. Google around for them. They probably come with a HOWTO install them. Try that and if you have any questions you can post them here.

Good luck

edit: just saw your sig nforce3 :juggle:

Read this: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32802

Edited by devries

Thanks devries,

I have now installed a PATA HDD on IDE 0 but still no go. I feel that it not only the RAID, but the whole motherboard.

I would like to thank all that have helped, but i will stick to windows until such a time that Mandrake supports my mobo.

Take care,

Andrew :thanks: