Can't see WindowsXP disk from Mandrake 10

ShineDesign

Hello all,

I just installed Mandrake 10 on a seperate hard disk from my WindowsXP Pro installation. My XP disk is the primary slave, while my Mandrake is the primary master (didn't want to affect anything on my windows install, such as the boot loader etc...) So now they both boot fine, all works well. Except for one thing, when I go into /mnt/win_c it shows no files or folders (win_c is my windows installation drive). Why isn't it showing my windows disk? The only reason I need this accessible is because I have two 120GB drives raid5 together via windowsXP (software method, not hardware) so I need to transfer my FTP files from that to the windows disk, and from the windows disk over to mandrake. (mandrake won't see the raid since it is recognised from windows, after the system boots). Any ideas?

-SD

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Thanks for the replies!

No hardware changes to my system since the install have been made, the file system of my windows drive is FAT32 (even if it was NTFS, I believe Mandrake 10 has everything needed already compiled into the kernel, right?)

Here's my fstab

/dev/hdg1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdg6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hde /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdf /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdg5 swap swap defaults 0 0

none /mnt/hd supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/hd2 supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

If you dont mind, could u tell me how to fix it, I have the same problem.

I have to mount the windows XP drive manually, mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows

I want it to mount auto

heres my fstab

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/hd supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

thanks

Edited by tyga

on a root console write this:

vi /etc/fstab

go to the end of the file, press i (to insert text)

go to the end of the line and press return

the write this:

/dev/hdxx /mnt/windows ntfs defaults,user 1 2 # for an ntfs partition

/dev/hdxx /mnt/windows vfat defaults,user 1 2 # for an fat32 partition

(those 2 last numbers, i'm not aware what they ment, i'm searching the web toi find out...)

then press ESC key

then :wq <-- this tells vi to:

: <-- here comes a coomand

w <-- write this file

q <-- quit from this file

now you'll have your windows partition everytime you boot :D

i hope this will be clear enough :oops:

Edited by sir_max