problems with freetype2/fontconfig/pango

Guest Trel

I'm installed freetype2 according to the directions, but then when I go to install fontconfig or pango, it says something about ft2build.h, but that file doesn't exist.

This is preventing me from installing the gimp :(

Any help will be welcome

How did you install freetype2?

If you used the rpm method, install

freetype2-devel

using the same instructions with freetype2 replaced with freetype2-devel.

If you didn't use an rpm, please tell us how you installed freetype2.

Edited by paleo

I compiled it from source cuz the whole reason I'm trying to do this is so I can install gimp so I can get screenshots showing the network setup so I can see where I'm going wrong.

I'm not sure why you want to compile freetype2, actually. Freetype2, fontconfig and pango should all be installed by default on Mandrake and gimp should be on the installation CDs and easy to install through mandrake's software manager.

Is there any particular reason why you want to install these things manually?

I'm not sure why you want to compile freetype2, actually. Freetype2, fontconfig and pango should all be installed by default on Mandrake and gimp should be on the installation CDs and easy to install through mandrake's software manager.

Is there any particular reason why you want to install these things manually?

Yes, all of the files on the CD are dated, Gimp2 is much better than the 1.0.3 that's on the CDs. And Gimp2 requires newer versions of the files so I was trying to build them, but it doesn't matter, I'm unfotunately not going to be using mandrake for a while, I'm going to try a different build until I'm more familliar with how to solver problems (and I never was able to get the network working with mandrake anyways)

I can't imagine mandrake 10 (or 9.2 for that matter) not satisfying the requirements for the gimp2. If you got compilation errors, it probably due to not installed devel packages. You probably need to install things like:

freetype2-devel

fontconfig-devel

pango-devel

The real names for the devel packages might be a bit different but you can find them with the search function of the software management tool.