Bye, Bye Windows! (except for some games)

Jayclark

After a long move for our old house, I decided to do a clean install of Xp. I formatted my hardrive then found out my XP cd broke in the move. Now I was stuck with my only other os which is Windows (crappy) ME. Ran fine for an hour. It made me realize how bloated Xp was. Then I start getting explorer errors, over and over and over and.... well you get the point. Had to type this twice because of explorer errors crashing my browser. Also had 22 minutes left on my Mandrake download but got a kernal error and crash the whole pc so I had to restart that download :furious3: . Windows Me sucks. The sercurity(sp) in all MS products suck. I thought about switching to Linux about 4 months back but didn't because of the poor native game support. The I realized. Then only game I have payed for is Battlefield. The other two I play is America's Army and Enemy Territory. They have native support in linux right? At least I think they do. I will dual boot with Windows Me for gaming only. And I doubt I will do it much. Since I play battlefield like once a week. Once Gaming companys wise up and not everyone is on Windows and start making games for linux also. Windows won't be on my hardrive. Downloading Mandrake again..... 3 hours left. I pray my system dosen't crash and loose my download. I'm sure, I'll be back with question about Mandrake. Hopefully not to many. Just have to get the Windows way of doing things out of my head.

you can also just download one cd, do a very minimal install & download the two others with mandrake & burn them :)

That is exactly what I did. Using Mandrake right now. Love it so far. It detected my printer. I was shocked by that because I had to search all over the internet for the driver for Windows Xp. Right now just having fun to see what all I can do. Reading guides about Mandrake etc. It seems very easy to use. I haven't got lost yet. I couldn't beleive how quicly it installed. Took about 15 minutes not including input from me. Windows takes atleast 30 if its not 2000 or Xp. So far so good!

Thxs that did the trick. I'm pretty sure it installed right because the Nvidia splash screen loads up upon boot now. Anyone else have the Lilo boot loader report false viruses in your bios before? I was using it but it sometimees it claimed there was a virus in my bios then other times when I booted it didn't say anything. I'm using grub right now since. It hasn't said anything about a virus while using it.

yes, the virus thing is simply annoying. especially since it is not a virus that is detected from the bios but the lilo bootloader. i simply disabled the virus-check in bios (not needed with linux anyway).

Jayclark

you'll soon have those daily M$ horrors outya system. The only time I use XP at work is because the Lexmark X85 printer we have is unsupported in linux. So if I need to print, unfortunately gotta go to XP unfortunately - man its such a hassle.

I have completely abandoned M$ at home - I too had ME - man, that is just the biggest pile of junk and a poor excuse at being labelelled an operating system in the entire universe and beyond Billy Gtaes screwed the world with that one - the amount of crashes I used to put up with is so unbelievable; Now I got a home network all running MDK - a far superior system. You'll love it.

Welcome to the goodship Mandrake.