Mandrakelinux 10.1 Release Candidate 1

feralertx

Is it worth the aford to upgrading from 10.0 to 10.1? Would it be better to wait for 10.2?

What the show in the article it seems sparse with new/updated stuff.

Though I hoped for KDE 3.3 to be included also Xorg 6.8.

It would be nice if someone could give some feedback how they feel the diffrences between 10.0 and 10.1

.:=The AI Dude=:.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

Hello everyone.

Bigpond, Australias' biggest ISP has today placed the Mandrake10.1 3 disk set for PPC on its free (yes, free......not included in its customer download quota)( that is broadband customers only) download website. The 4 disc Mandrake10-OE has been there also for some months now

My question is what is PPC and what would be the difference for the usual desktopper such as myself ???

Cheers. John. :mdk:

Hello Spiedra. They have masses of stuff and it is added to daily and not with out of date or old material either. New releases are added within a few days of release. Have a look at their "unmetered site". You will be amazed. e.g. Latest Wikipedia .........2 parts each 6gbs

You also get figures of download numbers as well and I am pleased to say that Mandrake has the Highest download of all the Linux OSs by far.

Yes Telstra is very quietly giving huge support to LINUX users but obviously they can only do it for BroardBand users, only because of the size of most of the downloads.

I notice that Optus Broadband is acting as a mirror for a lot of Linux stuff and that is good but not the same as acting as a mirror/source as Telstra does.

Question ??? Do any other ISP around the world give this kind of service to Broadband customers or even dialup??? I would really like to know.

Cheers. John.

Thank you Telstra BIGPOND. :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Edited by AussieJohn

Note to all on the 10.1 release:

From The release notes:

Switch to udev

and

Switch to udev, update of dynamic and the initscripts, that is

likely to bring some fun, so test and test again.

Ive been on udev in Gentoo for a while now. its a bit different.

Kernel info:

Kernel 2.6.8.1 breaks CD burning as a user ; again this kernel panic at the end of installation, we are working on it.

That is standard with the 2.6.8 kernel

Added New:

The litte net applet in the task bar to check the network status

Check it out

http://www1.mandrakelinux.com/en/101beta.php3

To answer the flood of questions: What is udev?

Ripped from Gentoo docs:

The /dev Directory

When Linux-users talk about the hardware on their system in the vicinity of people who believe Linux is some sort of virus or brand of coffee, the use of "slash dev slash foo" will return a strange look for sure. But for the fortunate user (and that includes you) using /dev/hda1 is just a fast way of explaining that we are talking about the primary master IDE, first partition. Or aren't we?

We all know what a device file is. Some even know why device files have special numbers when we take a closer look at them when we issue ls -l in /dev. But what we always take for granted is that the primary master IDE disk is referred to as /dev/hda. You might not see it this way, but this is a flaw by design.

Think about hotpluggable devices like USB, IEEE1394, hot-swappable PCI, ... What is the first device? And for how long? What will the other devices be named when the first one disappears? How will that affect ongoing transactions? Wouldn't it be fun that a printing job is suddenly moved from your supernew laserprinter to your almost-dead matrix printer because your mom decided to pull the plug of the inkjet which happened to be the first printer?

Enter udev. The goals of the udev project are both interesting and needed:

* Runs in userspace

* Dynamically creates/removes device files

* Provides consistent naming

* Provides a user-space API

To provide these features, udev is developed in three separate projects: namedev, libsysfs and, of course, udev.

You can write your own udev rules! What that does is identify a spicific device and load it into the /dev directory as a link you name. Example:

I have an RF cordless usb mouse. I wrote a udev rule so that when that extact mouse is plugged in it is linked to /dev/rodent.

Want more info?

http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php

Hi all! i have mdk powerpack 10. Is big the difference from 10 to 10.1? And if i upgrade linux, will i be able to continue install packages from the discs of my powerpack 10? And also i have seen that there is a mini iso of 10.1 rc1. Wich r the main packages contained in that iso?