Major problems--garbled output in BIOS???

Peep

I'm not sure where to post this. My desktop has been flaking out occasionally for a while and one of the main reasons I started using linux in the first place was trying to figure out a way to get it to behave.

Yesterday it locked up hard in KDE and the only way I could get it to reboot was to ssh in from another computer to reboot. On reboot the first stuff up on the screen was pretty corrupted-looking. You could still read the words, but about half the letters had been replaced with smiley faces and weird symbols. It proceeded to boot, but X wouldn't load. When I checked from the other computer, however, I was still able to ssh in and the underlying linux system seems ok (apache's running fine, etc)

1) Could this be a video card problem somehow? (Sounds unlikely, but who knows)

2) Could this be a linux problem? (Sounds unlikely, since it happens before the system even gets to the hard drive and it happens for both gentoo and mandrake)

3) Any ideas?

ok, after posting the above I went in with my digital camera and was going to take a picture of the gibberish on startup, but when I rebooted it worked just fine. I was able to start X and it looks normal.

This makes me think it's definitely not a BIOS type issue. I don't think it's a heat issue since the system is generally pretty cool and the air coming out the back fan is cool. I'd love anyone's ideas :)