urpmi --auto --auto-select not working

Note sure wich forum to post under:

I manually ran urpmi --auto --auto-select and it told me everything was installed

I then used the mandrake control center's software update aplet and it told me I needed to upgrade:

tfp-client-krb5

libkrb51

telnet-client-krb5

all of which are security related.

Why weren't those picked up by the automated update? it looks like I can't trust which really sucks.

FYI, when I ran a the command line update, it didn't seem to go out and retrieve anything off the 'net or if it did it was a whole lot faster than the control panel based update, and it didn't tell me about it.

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

errrm... as far as i know the command is simply "urpmi --auto-select", not "urpmi --auto --auto-select"...

either/or\both

if it didn't seem to update the database it's because it found that the hdlist were up2date. That's why it seemed so fast. Urpmi has an 'use updated media only' option. SEE: man urpmi

I believe if this is not specified or urpmi is not specifically told to install security pkgs if they are the only ones that can be upgraded, it will not. Rightly so, IMO.

You can add the update url to urpmi as a regular source to bypass this issue.

If there exist a pkg manager for linux you can trust, urpmi is it....the best I've seen/used, anyway.

Edited by bvc

I've re-read your response many times but I still don't understand it.

urpmi and the mandrake control center "software updates" panel are using the same urpmi database and settings right?

so unless the database was updated in the 30s it took betweem typing the commands manually and going into the applet, why would the command line think it was up to date?

I believe if this is not specified or urpmi is not specifically told to install security pkgs if they are the only ones that can be upgraded, it will not. Rightly so, IMO.

I'm not sure how urpmi knows a package is a security update? I can prevent some packages to be updated by listing them in the /etc/urpmi/skip.list file but it's empty.

Why wouldn't I want to automatically patch security holes? that's the whole point of running the command line version in a cron job.

Edit: now that I've ran the mdc applet (but not installed the updates), doing urpmi --auto --auto-select is actually downloading and installing the updates.

I am missing something here obviously :angry:

How do I "mark" a media for update?

Edited by papaschtroumpf

Urpmi has an 'use updated media only' option. SEE: man urpmi

I have looked at the man page:

Use  only update media. This means urpmi will search and resolve dependencies only in media marked as update.

hence my question in the post above: how do I "mark" a media for updates?

I understand the words, but I'm missing something about the concept.

Urpmi has an 'use updated media only' option. SEE: man urpmi

I have looked at the man page:

Use  only update media. This means urpmi will search and resolve dependencies only in media marked as update.

hence my question in the post above: how do I "mark" a media for updates?

I understand the words, but I'm missing something about the concept.

type in Konqueror:

easyurpmi

and fix your repository

after that:

#urpmi.update -a

and to update your sytem:

#urpmi --auto-select

Thats all!!

What you missed was

urpmi.update -a

That updates your local hdlists to sync with what is actually on the server. If you haven't run that command since the last time you did urpmi --auto --auto-select, then, of course it thinks everything is already installed. After running the gui app, you saw the packages because, guess what, the gui runs urpmi.update -a before it does anything.

That's what I told him. How to do it from the commandline. He wanted to know why urpmi --auto --auto-select told him everything was already installed when he saw in the gui that there were security updates. He then went back to the command line and did urpmi --auto --auto-select and things started installing. I was explaining to him that the first time he ran urpmi --auto --auto-select that he had not done urpmi.update -a first, which syncs your local hdlist with the latest from the server. When he ran the gui, it runs urpmi.update -a in the background for you, before it shows you what is available. Since it is using the same database, urpmi --auto --auto-select now sees the new hdlist and available packages. If one does not believe that the gui runs urpmi.update -a in the background, all one has to do is run mcc from the commandline and watch the console window when one selects Software Update. urpmi --auto --auto-select only sees the last hdlists you downloaded with urpmi.addmedia or urpmi.update. Did I need to be so verbose? :P

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Why wouldn't I want to automatically patch security holes? that's the whole point of running the command line version in a cron job.

How do I "mark" a media for update?

The experienced will tell you to never do updates auto. Things like initscripts can render your sys useless. I do not have an update_media....and never will. Been screwed too many times. I wait for others to get them auto and be the test rats and when all is well go and get them myself.

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=18266&hl=

man urpmi.addmedia

OPTIONS
      --update
             Add a medium which will be taken into account when updating only
             update media by urpmi.

hmmm...why is that there? ;)

Edited by bvc

What you missed was

urpmi.update -a

That updates your local hdlists to sync with what is actually on the server. If you haven't run that command since the last time you did urpmi --auto --auto-select, then, of course it thinks everything is already installed. After running the gui app, you saw the packages because, guess what, the gui runs urpmi.update -a before it does anything.

Great! that's exactly what I was looking for.

bvc: I see your point about automated updates, mayne I'll change the cron job to send me an email that updates are available so that I can choose to install them manually myself, but will still know that updates are availabe.

Unless there is some system try applet that checks for updates and automatically warns you that some updates are needed? That's be cool