web browsers running really slow

axel_2078

Ever since yesterday my Konqueror and Firefox browsers have been opening up web pages incredibly slow. Sometimes it can take up to 40 seconds to completely load a page and I have a 3 MB cable connection. The Windows machines on my network don't have any problem at all; they connect really fast. What's the deal? Why am I having this problem alll of a sudden?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

This is odd....I just opened up a console as root and just for the heck of it did a updatedb. Now my browsers are opening up much faster. Why would the updatedb command have any effect on that? And while I'm thinking about it, what exactly does the updatedb command do?

Edited by axel_2078

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the exact same problem since installing Mandrake Community 10.1 at the weekend. Some site are unaffected but others (always the same ones) are loading at less than 1Kb/s (mostly less that 100 b/s) instead of the usual 50-70Kb/s. The problm is specific to this version of the OS - my Mandrake 10 machines are unaffected.

Is it possible you've installed 10.1 either intentionally or by accident when doing an update?

Updatedb should have no affect on your network speed, it just updates the 'locate' database - a tool for finding files on your HDDs.

I'm still trying to find a solution for my problems and I'm cursing myself for ever installing 10.1 (it is full of very annoying bugs). If the bugs aren't ironed out soon my patience is unlikely to last and I'll either re-install Mandrake 10 or Gentoo.

Edited by GBee

Is it possible you've installed 10.1 either intentionally or by accident when doing an update?

this is not possible unless he added the cooker repositories to his ftp-sources (but that would lead to still other problems) or downloaded them as club member from the mandrake mirrors.

firefox can be configured to work faster (see the tips&tricks section of this board). most of the time, the reason for pages loading slow is a problem with the isp and its networking-setup (e.g. many users sharing one cable) or a server being too heavily used (too much traffic).

I'm still trying to find a solution for my problems and I'm cursing myself for ever installing 10.1 (it is full of very annoying bugs). If the bugs aren't ironed out soon my patience is unlikely to last and I'll either re-install Mandrake 10 or Gentoo.

mandy 10.1CE is nothing else than a beta2 version, so don't expect it to work the way you want it to do. stick to 10.0 OE and wait for 10.1 OE which will be available in a month or so.

p.s.: installing gentoo is nothing for noobs.... in case you are one. ;)

uh... and welcome aboard gbee :D

Edited by arctic

this is not possible unless he added the cooker repositories to his ftp-sources (but that would lead to still other problems) or downloaded them as club member from the mandrake mirrors.

Yup I know ;) It can still be done accidently, I've done it in the past by selecting the wrong repositories from easyurpmi.

mandy 10.1CE is nothing else than a beta2 version, so don't expect it to work the way you want it to do

I knew that before installing it, but I stupidly figured that it couldn't be that buggy :unsure: So far X crashes on boot, openGL doesn't work, the internet is unsusably slow with some sites, knotify is prone to random crashes and I'm faced with having to do a complete re-install to get it all working again *hurray*

I'm not a newbie and a mate of mine is currently impressed with gentoo so I thought I'd take a look. Not saying that I'm ditching mandrake, but if I have to do a fresh install of anything I might as well take the opportunity of looking at Gentoo :D

If, as Gentoo would have us believe, the result is a less bloated and faster system then I'm sure I can stand waiting a bit longer during the install and when updating :)

Even if I decide I don't like Gentoo at least I can say I've tried it and I will know what it is all about. I like to learn B)