vi and Nvidia drivers

vash795

I downloaded kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk and installed it.

I was unable to locate KDE control panel to verify it though.

Same error about not finding the source and it cant install the drivers.

that's the default ML-10 kernel.

Open a terminal>su to root>and post the output of

uname -r

and

rpm -qa | grep kernel

then maybe we can help :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bighusky

Hi

just thought I would add that I am experiencing the same issue. This is with the Mdk 10.0 official Powerpack edition updated with all the latest Mandrake Updates.

I edit /etc/XF86Config-4, change the line for "nv" to "nvidia" and remove the # signs before glx.

If I log out and then kill the X server with CTRL-ALT-Backspace then the Nvidia splashscreen appears and I can use all the 3D programs.

But as soon as I reboot the XF86Config-4 file reverts back to the file with "nv" and the # signs in front of glx.

Have been looking through the init scripts to see if something is re-editing the file during startup. So far no luck.

BH

su

<password>

init 3

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel

now a new file appear called NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111.pkg1-custom.run (or something, it's in the same directory)

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111.pkg1-custom.run

(you'l need the source kernel to do this)

Guest bighusky
Hi

just thought I would add that I am experiencing the same issue. This is with the Mdk 10.0 official Powerpack edition updated with all the latest Mandrake Updates.

I edit /etc/XF86Config-4, change the line for "nv" to "nvidia" and remove the # signs before glx.

If I log out and then kill the X server with CTRL-ALT-Backspace then the Nvidia splashscreen appears and I can use all the 3D programs.

But as soon as I reboot the XF86Config-4 file reverts back to the file with "nv" and the # signs in front of glx.

Have been looking through the init scripts to see if something is re-editing the file during startup. So far no luck.

BH

Actually I finally found the problem on my system. When I originally upgraded to x.org I had a symlink from XF86Config-4 to xorg.conf

In one of the latest updates though the symlink for xorg.conf has been deleted and a real file created. So now if you make any changes to XF86Config-4 on the next reboot the file will have been replaced with the content of the xorg.conf file.

Editing the xorg.conf file works correctly, even after the reboot.

Don't know which system update caused this. It gave me a headache for a few days ;-) Am probably going to delete the xorg.conf file and re-create the symlink.

Hope this helps

BH