vi and Nvidia drivers

vash795

Strange, and I see you're using Mandy 10. Apperently it is doing some kind of saving. The file with the ~ next to it gets generated when a file is saved. It's a duplicate, a back up copy. Let me see if I can duplicate the error and report back to you.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not able to duplicate the error and google didn't yield much, but I think maybe when you save the file it is getting overwritten by a back up when you reboot. Can you copy that XF86Config-4 file to say your /home? Do it as root of course.

cp XF86Config-4 /home/username

Then make whatever changes required in the copy of that file in your /home directory and see if it gets saved. At least that tells me it is getting overwriten some how and we can figure it out. Or maybe, the driver is actually not installed, in which you may have to get the kernel source to install the driver. I'm judging by your posts you have installed the driver successfully though, but try the first thing I suggested and let us know.

Edited by spiedra

B4 you attempt to reinstall the driver, make sure you have the nvidia card selected in XFdrake. Maybe not having the right one selected is the source of the problem. If it's already selected, then start your internet connection, drop to runlevel 3, restart the installation process of the driver, when you get that message saying there's no precompiled interface kernel, etc and asks if you want to download it at teh webiste, say yes and it will download it and installation will proceed. If the installaer is unable to find the required file on the website, then it will need to compile the kernel interface for you, for that you'll need to have kernel sources if you don't already have them. You'll know you want them if installation fails during compiling. If that's the case, if you go into your software manager and do a search for kernel-source and you get the one that matches your kernel version. Then once installed, restart the nvidia installer. Install the driver, go back to run level 5 and hopefully should work.

Edited by spiedra

Providing you haven't upgraded your kernel, you get kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk. To find out which kerenl you're running, just open kde control panel and it will tell you on the right hand side. But with Mandry 10, the source I believe should already be installed so it may or may not be neccessary.

Edited by spiedra