vi and Nvidia drivers

vash795

Im up to the point where you need to edit that file with vi.

It says to make sure that Driver "glx" is under module but mine has a few # before the Driver "glx"

should I remove them?

Also everytime I edit then hit esc then :wq the file doesnt save...

I go back in to check it and all the stuff I did is back to origional. :wall:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now get this:

E325: ATTENTION
Found a swap file by the name "/etc/X11/.XF86Config-4.swp"
         owned by: root   dated: Fri Sep  3 23:43:39 2004
        file name: /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
         modified: YES
        user name: root   host name: localhost
       process ID: 2210
While opening file "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
            dated: Sat Sep  4 20:20:38 2004
     NEWER than swap file!

(1) Another program may be editing the same file.
   If this is the case, be careful not to end up with two
   different instances of the same file when making changes.
   Quit, or continue with caution.

(2) An edit session for this file crashed.
   If this is the case, use ":recover" or "vim -r /etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
   to recover the changes (see ":help recovery").
   If you did this already, delete the swap file "/etc/X11/.XF86Config-4.swp"
   to avoid this message.

Swap file "/etc/X11/.XF86Config-4.swp" already exists!
[O]pen Read-Only, (E)dit anyway, (R)ecover, (Q)uit, (D)elete it:

I edit it and reboot.

and the file is still the same...

Sometimes when you edit a document using vi, it will create a duplicate file that has the .swp extension. In this case, it's XF86Config-4.swp. The correct file is XF86Config-4. I usually delete the swp file or rename it to something else and it's fine. Just make sure you have XF86Config-4 before deleting or renaming XF86Config-4.swp. As far as the file not saving, you may have to type:

:wq!

The ! overides whatever restrictions you are getting that is keeping you editing and saving the file.

Edited by spiedra

If I boot into linux the file has changed yet glxgears doesnt work.

In mandrake I open a terminal and I seen the file hasnt changed at all...

I dont know if this is related but the following programs crash on startup and shut down:

Korgal, ksmserver, Kicker, Ksplash, Kcminit. I get a crash handler window that comes up.

I agree with Spiedra.

I think the :wq use is ESSENTIAL. It means WRITE and QUIT which I am fairly certain is NOT the same as "save and quit".

After using the exact procedure as outlined by others and then going into my account and then using Konqueror to go to /X11 and looking for XF86Config-4, I notice that there is NO other forms of it such as "old" or such like but if any changes are made to XF86Config-4 for whatever reasons using an editor while in init 5 then a copy of the original is made and marked ~ and is thus ignored by the system but is available to be reinstalled if needed.

Obviously if an original is marked swp then the system can still keep referring to it when it shouldn't . The safest bet would be delete the swap version and redo the re-edit of XF86Config-4 again, but properly, using the :wq at the end and see how it goes.

What you are doing with your variation, even though slight, of procedure is producing this swap version of the file.

I notice you use vi and not vim as recommended by the original procedure and reading spiedras' post which arrived while I was doing this one this is exactly why you have had all this trouble. Now you know why the procedure said vim and not vi. I use vim everytime and have never had problems because I did not and do not presume that variations of a recommended procedure are OK.

I have been watching these nvidia threads for some time and have noticed that the vast majority of have been because the user has not followed the install procedure EXACTLY as recommended or have not made certain that their system has the Kernel Source of the same version number as the Kernel they are setup on.

Cheers. John.

The following files in file:/etc/X11

are XF86Config-4, XF86Config-4.old

Should I move the .old file to another location? I get acess denied...

Are there any other files named this that I need to be aware of?

Edited by vash795

Again I agree with spiedra. Anything with .old is ignored by the system so you can leave it if you wish and it won't effect anything. Delete it if you wish but it can only be done from root and not from your account.

Cheers. John.