problems after updating Offical

hopeful

Yes it does. I would say that your system is seriously corrupted and trying to fix things is really a waste of time.

Your far better off doing a complete clean reinstall. This would take you an hour at the most. So far i suspect you have spent days on the problem. Not really worth it is it.is it ???

Think you will learn more by trying to fix the problem??? I don't think so. When a system is badly corrupted you end up just chasing your tail.

When ever I muck up something on my system ( I am always fiddling) I follow this course.

Within an hour I am set up again, extra software additions reinstalled and settings restored.

I have two setups of Mandrake10-OE on my machine so if I screw up my main one, I have a working system to fall back on if I want to come here for help or whatever.

Cheers. John

Yes it does.  I would say that your system is seriously corrupted and trying to fix things is really a waste of time.

Your far better off doing a complete clean reinstall.  This would take you an hour at the most.  So far i suspect you have spent days on the problem. Not really worth it is it.is it ???

Think you will learn more by trying to fix the problem???  I don't think so.  When a system is badly corrupted you end up just chasing your tail.

When ever I muck up something on my system ( I am always fiddling) I follow this course.

Within an hour I am set up again, extra software additions reinstalled and settings restored.

I have two setups of Mandrake10-OE  on my machine so if I screw up my main one,  I have a working system to fall back on if I want to come here for help or whatever.

Cheers.                      John

Hi Aussie John

A day ! more like several. I agree with the need to reinstall, but I am a bit hesitant because of having to reinstall my speedtocuh. I have done it once and have the instructions, it is just a matter of time. I think the big mistake I made was with the NVIDIA driver install. The irony is that it made no real difference to the quality of my monitor and I do not play 3d games. But any advice on installing them would be welcome.

I have to say that I have been going through a very step learning curve and I am now able to do things I never thought I would. So it has not been a negative expereince.

Thanks for your help

Hopeful

I don't know how the nvidia install would have done all of this. And by switching the driver in /etc/X11/XF86Config, you are no longer using nvidia.

Have you tried creatig a different user and see what kde does with the new .home dorectory?