Samsung printers

gmac

I got mine for £50 at PC world in new year sale ! i actually bought 2 since afriend has one too.

Setup was... insert cartridge, plug in, stick in USB cable and then add the driver in cups.... literally 2 mins... Lil gorse used Printer Drake and it worked fro there too.

Its not heaviliy used but its the price of a HP cart.... and so far its done everything I asked which is printing text mainly.

I think they are now about £100 but still great value if you print text... Lil Gorsse had a HP deskjet something and was spending that printing out papers regualrly...

I have an ML-1710 (600 DPI laser, so pretty good quality) and it works beautifully under Mandrake and windows (currently attached to the linux machine with USB and shared to my windows machines using samba. I also had it the other way around for a while).

For some reason though, printerdrake kept setting its URI to usb://dev/usblp0 after autodetecting it. Once I manually forced it to the right value of usb://dev/usb/lp1 everything worked fine.

It uses postscript+ gdi for printing and there is a nice properties page where I can set the same options as in windows, like DPI, paper size, standby timeout, even toner adjustment for high altitude...

By the way, from what I've heard, you do not want to install the Samsung provided drivers, they rarely work. Never tried myself though, went with the general consensus.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, and I got mine for $10 after two $70 mail in rebates :D

Edited by papaschtroumpf

good quality print? this is for business use so the presentation matters,

Its a 600dpi laser!

Im sure a PC mag can do all sorts of tests and blow it up 1000x times and stuff but I havent.... its just good enough and fast enough and hassle free ..:D

We have some HP4000 and 4050 I use at work and its certainly better than them.

I would get to PC world and ask em to print off the demo page... then look for it cheaper elsewhere...:D but the best I can say is its the BEST £50 I spent in a long time....

If your high volume then look into toner costs, I havent on this becuase I only changed the HP5L cart once and then it fell apart... (built in design fault) so I just saw this and thought I was now having to feed pages manually into the HP...which resulted in me using the epson inkjet which is horrendously expensive for printing text... I probably saved £50 already....

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Samsung SCX-4x16 Series all in one printer. The model name is SCX-4216F.

I can't use it at all in linux. It is connected via usb.

I wonder if it will work with a parallel cable... ?

I leaned from LinuxPrinting.org that I should use a PPD driver but I can't find a good one which work with my printer or even close.

I wrote a mail to Samsung asking for help and support in having the printer spec so I will write myself the PPD file.

This is the answer I got:

Thank you very much for your mail.

In case of SCX-4216F, we do not support a linux driver or a PPD file.

It is product specification that is decided already.

If you have a question or another problem, feel free to send me a mail please.

Best regards.

:wall:

What should I understand? That I have a winprinter?

:help:

I appreciate your help in getting it working.

Thank you