Firefox vs Konqueror

axel_2078

I was using both browsers earlier today to compare them. I was looking at the same page through both browsers and noticed that Konqueror displayed images and links that Firefox didn't. I also had some trouble with Firefox last night. I was trying to upload pictures to ebay on my Win2K machine using Firefox and for some reason, it wouldn't upload them, so I had to use IE to do it instead. Firefox also had a rougher looking interface and didn't even display some of the options I had on ebay. I noticed that when I switched over to IE. Anyway, I'm trying to find a good browser for Mandrake which brings me to my question...why do the browsers display things so differently? Firefox enlarges fonts and hides links and images, while Konqueror has a nicer interface, but reduces font on webpages to the point you need glasses to read it.

various reasons but

1) Firefox usually renders fine (I dont use it much I use Opera and Konqueror)

Microsift has added certain code to some of its sites that detects the browser and then reformats ...

here's a start but follow some links including the opera press release

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2001oct/...11026008542.htm

(Now you might be starting to see what I have against MS :D)

Im not plugging firefox I find it slow compared to Opera and I use Konqueror because of the seamless integration across so many protocols...and its just convenient sometiomes to open say a local tab and a ftp tab on a remote site and drag and drop... + it gives you the full navigation on the ftp site (or fish or about 20 other protocols :D)

Perhaps eBay have been paid to render badly in non IE borwsers, after all MS payed off AOL to dump netscape and stop non IE bowsers using their protocols.

Firefox is themeable... so maybe try playing with the themes for something you like.

Maybe try Opera I use the Free download with adds but Im happy...

...why do the browsers display things so differently

Read the links above they probably explain better than I can but post back if you have other questions :D