How can I restore the LILO?

zero0w

I have a question, how can I restore LILO (at the boot sector I suppose), after re-installing Windows XP (I know... :P it's only for my sister's computer)?

Do I need to backup it on a floppy disk or something?

Can it be done just by booting a Mandrake bootCD and enter some commands?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Yes, use Mdk boot CD (Installation CD1) and then press F1 (maybe other, I forgot :P) to enter some option and type rescue.

There will be a simple user interface that can be use to restore bootloader. You can even mount your Mdk root partition (/) to add some boot option to lilo.conf, and restore the bootloader after that.

Hope this help.

Yes, use Mdk boot CD (Installation CD1) and then press F1 (maybe other, I forgot :P) to enter some option and type rescue.

There will be a simple user interface that can be use to restore bootloader. You can even mount your Mdk root partition (/) to add some boot option to lilo.conf, and restore the bootloader after that.

Hope this help.

Thanks. :D

I'll try it.

k, I really don't mean to be rude but, I see your post count and profile, and I've known you here for a long time and I know you know there are 1000+ post on this topic.....why another? :juggle:

Search!

Hmm well I knowI did the answer to this about 50* ... but Im damned if the search finds it!

easy answer is boot from CD and mount partitions under /mnt then chroot /mnt

then just rerun lilo (after editing lilo.conf if needed)

k, I really don't mean to be rude but, I see your post count and profile, and I've known you here for a long time and I know you know there are 1000+ post on this topic.....why another? :juggle:

Search!

Hmm well I knowI did the answer to this about 50* ... but Im damned if the search finds it!

easy answer is boot from CD and mount partitions under /mnt then chroot /mnt

then just rerun lilo (after editing lilo.conf if needed)

Search

more option

+lilo+restore

Installing Mandrake

lots

...and why even use the Search? All one has to do is go to Installing Mandrake and look in the last day or so.....dumb linux bootloader :screwy:

;)

bvc I get the point but what I find is I know posts exist (for example I wrote them or learned from them) but Im damned if I find em...

Ive even resorted to finding em by my name and then paging through tot he approx date before...

Sometimes the one in the search is innapropraite .. and in this particualr case I *know* I wrote a very thorough method but I cant find the damned thing.

Ive honestly given up using the search completely ....after several times spending longer searching than retyping!

I also sometimes ask dumb questions...

Sometimes I just know someone here will know the answer .. in fact to be honest for me or you why ever ask a question - there is very little we couldnt solve given time and google... BUT sometimes its easier to help each other ...

Ive even posted a "sorry Im lazy but anyone know this from the top of their head " .... (Id find it but I'd need to search ) :cheeky:

my 3000+ hours AND answering this question well over 200 times can't swallow any of this BS :cheesy:

It is never faster to ask on a forum and wait for an answer than to google or search the forum. A n00b is diff. They don't even know what to search for, they just need help.

Anyway, glad you were able to play on the net or do other things while someone took the time to answer your question that you could have found in 2 min. :screwy:

It is never faster to ask on a forum and wait for an answer than to google or search the forum. A n00b is diff. They don't even know what to search for, they just need help.

I contested whether it's really faster to search, but since you know the topic well it must be faster for you then.

As for your point on 3000 hours online, I think it is just an individual case.

The internet is full of repeating questions and answers on similar topic, like Gowator said it is sometimes better to help out each other. I probably won't mind answering repetitive questions if I know that topic well. Btw, I did search a bit but I thought I will get more straightforward answer with a post.

Again thanks for the help from idud and Gowator.