Boot up hangs at 'Detecting new Hardware'

Tymestream

I thought I posted this question but it seems that I never submitted it (if it is found anywhere else - please forgive :oops: )

Mandrake 10 seems to be hanging at boot right when it checks for new hardware, I have had it installed for a few weeks and it happens intermittantly. Anyone else have this problem and know possible solution. I can interactively bypass it or shutdown the harddrake service and both options workaround the problem. But I am curios to find the dang issue.

Actually that is a solution because harddrake should only run at firstboot anyway, to catch whatever was missed at install. Never, once, has it done me anygood. If I think about it I a force an uninstall of the stupid thing. Currently I have it installed but not to run.

Why can't mandrake run this once and turn it off? It may have a purpose in an upgrade but who does that?

bvc, I am curious. Say, I stopped service harddrake. If I do need to connect new hardware, it can be turned back on before connecting the hardware. But I am using removable hardware such as usb flash drive and camera. Those devices are sometimes connected, and sometimes they are not there. Will the usb camera connect if harddrake service is stopped? With the flash drive it's not a problem 'cause there is an entry for it in the /etc/fstab.

bvc, I am curious. Say, I stopped service harddrake. If I do need to connect new hardware, it can be turned back on before connecting the hardware. But I am using removable hardware such as usb flash drive and camera. Those devices are sometimes connected, and sometimes they are not there. Will the usb camera connect if harddrake service is stopped? With the flash drive it's not a problem 'cause there is an entry for it in the /etc/fstab.

Thats an interesting point...I have not tried my Camera or my irviver at all even with harddrake turned on - I will do both with it on and off and see what happens.

Regards,

Yes they should still work. Harddrake is for NEW hardware. First boot/ upgrades.....

Hey bvc,

Off topic :

I just was at you screenshot directory and saw a neat little cpu,eth0,swap monitor running on the 1280 screenshot in Gnome. Is that part of Gnome or a seperate app?

I use KDE and can't find a nice clean monitor like that.

Thanks in advance.

it's called gkrellm. It's on the cd's.

I wonder what else could be turned off to speed up the boot process. Does anybody know any *plain English* up-to-date description of services that run on startup? There used to be one on old forum mandrakeuser.org, but it is probably a bit outdated. It used to be that Windows was lagging behind Linux in this regard, but now it takes for my laptop only a fraction of time to boot XP than Linux.

there's, or was, a thread on this forum somewhere, and there are several threads asking the very same question so I thought it was in the FAQ but I just skimmed through there and didn't see it. Was it removed :unsure:

[root@localhost root]# service -s
Modules Loaded:
               Nothing
acpid (pid 2716) is running...
Sound loaded
atd is stopped
crond is stopped
cupsd (pid 2771) is running...
devfsd (pid 468) is running...
dm is stopped
gpm (pid 2578) is running...
Harddrake service was not run at boot timeINPUT status for kernel:  Linux 2.6.7 i686
Sound loaded
syslogd (pid 2555) is stopped
klogd (pid 2564) is stopped
USB Loaded.
xfs (pid 2700) is stopped
xinetd is stopped
[root@localhost root]#

oh, don't just go stopping xfs w/o adding the font dirs to the config file.

[root@localhost root]# chkconfig --list
alsa            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
dm              0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
kheader         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:off   5:on    6:off
netfs           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
partmon         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
random          0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
rawdevices      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
sound           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
netplugd        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
syslog          0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
gpm             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
crond           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
xinetd          0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
portmap         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
xfs             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
hotplug         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
atd             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
devfsd          0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
harddrake       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
oki4daemon      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
mtink           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
cups            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
iptables        0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
shorewall       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
acpi            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
acpid           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
masqmail        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
[root@localhost root]#

I wonder what else could be turned off to speed up the boot process. Does anybody know any *plain English* up-to-date description of services that run on startup?  There used to be one on old forum mandrakeuser.org, but it is probably a bit outdated. It used to be that Windows was lagging behind Linux in this regard, but now it takes for my laptop only a fraction of time to boot XP than Linux.

In the Mandrake Control Center > System > Services menu there is an info button that, when pressed, gives a small blurb about what the service is and the ability to turn it on or off. This is by no means comprehensive but it helped me alot in deciding what services to deactivate on one machine.