Can't install ADSL driver/module

ZaZu

When installing MDK10.0 I saw a notice that said that the free download version does not include some drivers for ADSL modems,

I've been unsucsessful in getting MDK to install the driver/module for my NIC its a 3Com ADSL PCI lan/rfc1483 adapter aka 3Com 3cp3617, MDK lists it as idt77252

There is a idt77252.ko.gz in the modules section but I can't install it

After unzipping it I tried insmod which says there are unknown symbols in it

the output from dmesg says:

idt77252: Unknown symbol atm_pcr_goal

idt77252: Unknown symbol suni_init

idt77252: Unknown symbol atm_dev_deregister

idt77252: Unknown symbol atm_dev_register

idt77252: Unknown symbol atm_charge

modprobe just says module not found

Could this module be corrupt?

Could the module I need be on the commercial version?

Is there anyway I could get MDK to look in the ATM modules folder for the ADSL driver? cause thats where it is

MDK is looking in the NET folder, I put the driver in that folder then rebooted still nada..

I don't suppose theres something like in Windows where you choose where it looks and what for?

Damn this is frustrating...

For adsl, you need to get the nic working. The "modem" will bring in the internet. Focus on the nic. Go to MCC>Hardware>NIC and choose the correct driver.

The drivers don't work exactly like windows. A driver runs for a specific kernel, and the data is loaded in pre-defined places so that the kernel can load the modules. Are you saying that when you look at driver selection for your nic, your card does not show up? Are you sure that what you installed is for your version of Mandrake?

If the above is all yes, then perhaps the file was a bad download. Fetch it again. (3 Com is fully supported by Mandrake) BTW, the notice that they give actually concerns certain proprietary drivers that can only be included with a purchase agreement, like Nvidia. So what do we do? We go to the manufacturers' site and download the driver, like nvidia! Notice that you agree to a statement prior to download. Paperwork is so silly! B)

The card shows up correctly in MCC as idt77252 but is listed was "module: unknown"

The module (idt77252.ko.gz) is in the /lib/modules/~/drivers/atm folder

MDK only lists whats in the /lib/modules/~/drivers/net when asking what driver to use for the card

I need to get MDK to offer the contents of /lib/modules/~/drivers/atm as the choice

because the card is a ADSL modem not an ethernet NIC

Edited by ZaZu

Hmmm...

So, using Harddrake, change the driver to the correct one! Since Mandy has mis-identified it, push the bar that says "let me choose a driver". Mandrake will copy the necessary files to the correct locations when you change the settings.

"Mandy" has not mis-identified the driver it is looking in the /lib/modules/~/drivers/net folder for a driver thats in the /lib/modules/~/drivers/atm folder

The "let me choose a driver" bar that your refering to is the one that presents a list of ethernet drivers I need a atm driver

edit:

Do I need an ADSL modem for broadband or could I use an ethernet card just as well?

re-edit:

Just found the answer :

Q. What are the requirements for ADSL modems compatible with AceDSL® service?

A. G.DMT, RFC 1483 SNAP Bridge, LLC-Mux, VPI-0, VCI-35, Alcatel DSLAM compatible.

I suppose that answer is universial..

Edited by ZaZu

I'm done....I've done all I can think of to get MDK to load the driver for my ADSL card , even removed the card to see if MDK could be made to rediscover it as a ADSL modem not an ethernet card ...didn't work

I guess me and Linux wasn't meant to be .... I'm done it beat me...

No I'm not gonna buy another ADSL modem that MDK might support to replace the perfectly good one I already have

PEACE!

I've thought about this all day. My modem is external, and self configures with my provider. I then hook up with an ethernet card. (It's a toshiba) Who is your provider, and did they supply the modem?

Hopefully the OP is still here and with us.

If so...

Ignore the modem driver - you do not need the thing

Focus on getting the NIC working correctly, then ignore Mandrake's (what I consider to be) shonky ADSL setup via MCC.

Instead, open a console and use

adsl-setup

as root

then to make it work

adsl-start

to stop (useful if not on a static IP and your connection seems to fail

adsl-stop

also of help if on a dynamic IP

route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

from running ifconfig and using the values for ppp0

I've thought about this all day. My modem is external, and self configures with my provider. I then hook up with an ethernet card. (It's a toshiba) Who is your provider, and did they supply the modem?

My ADSL modem is an internal PCI card it aparently has an intergral ethernet capability

as I do not have a seperate ethernet card

Bellsouth supplied the ADSL modem which is PPPOE it is a discontinued 3Com model

3cp3617 which uses a idt77252 chipset so MDK lists it as an idt77252

@nocturnes

I've done all that its useless since the ADSL card is not being activated by MDK because

the driver/module (idt77252.ko.gz) is not installed

The driver/module is in the /lib/modules/~/drivers/atm folder

I found this :http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2004/Aug/0893.html

I' m not sure what to make of it, but it looks like their trying to solve or have solved the problem I'm having

It sounds like Bellsouth (and I am on their ADSL as well) have sold you a lemon in some respects. They supplied me with an external Westell modem which configured easily. Is there any chance of you contacting them to see if you can get an external - it is much more secure anyway

I'm sorry you are having theis trouble, but with winmodems being the rage, this may be a winadslmodem! Linuxers must write the drivers for these, since there is generally no help from the manufacturers. This is a window monopoly experience more than a linux experience!