how to get own server on the net?

Michel

Heya,

I was just thinking. What should I do if I have my own server at home and want to link it to the net. I suppose I need to get a domainname (maybe a dynamical one, but else I have to buy one I suppose ...). I also need to buy some traffic or how is this called (maybe I need to buy a domainname with that ...)?

Anyone knows some good companies who do this?

Any experiences, advice?

It's for Europe (Belgiu), but ofcourse all advise is welcome ...

tx,

Michel

Michel to start off you just need a dynamic IP address. I use dyndns.org and other here use no-ip.com ... everyone seems happy..

For a home site you get a reasonably personal domain name and they have a client which updates your dns entry every time its changed.

In theory dns propogation can take a few hours, in practice I hardly seem to have a problem. Wanadoo change me once per day...

I dont have traffic restrictions so I just use my regular broadband with 128kb/s upload and 512 down and this is usually fine.

The point is if you already have DSL and no traffic limit then its free ... more sophisticated stuff can come later as you decide exactly what/how etc.

Heya,

tx for the responses. I have adsl at the moment. I'm just not sure about my upload. I have 3.3 Mbps download, but I also have 128 kbps upload. I have a limit of 15 Gigabytes, so that shouldn't be a problem. I only worry about my upload. If I want to upload a project to a remote computer it can take some time.

If I choose to have my own server ... I do that because I want enough storage-space and so that I can install my own programs.

But tx for the info,

I'll keep it in mind.

thanks,

Michel

You don't need to buy or sign up for anything Michel. You already have a connection. Just install either apache if you want to serve up webpages or something like proftp if your looking to transfer files thru FTP from a remote computer. You will be able to connect to your server then via your IP address.

http://83.134.xxx.xx/

or

ftp://83.134.xxx.xx:21

with your normal...

username

password

Then as others said... if you want to use a domain name in place of the IP, you can get that service at the places mentioned.